Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control a Dynamic Block's alignment

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
4391 Views, 12 Replies

How to control a Dynamic Block's alignment

I have been building dynamic blocks for a while now, including using the self-aligning tool. In the block editor, it is easy to install. The challenge begins when going to use the block.

When I go to snap the block to a particular location (usually an intersection of two lines), the alignment tool is doing it's best to guess my intended alignment direction. -sometimes it changes multiple times per second as it stutters with the various direction options. Usually, though, (and often predictably), when I get the block to its final position, it will not align to the direction I want it to, no matter how I move the block into place. If I'm lucky and can get it to cooperate, it usually takes the better part of a minute of micro-adjustments with the mouse. (i.e. I can get it to align to the correct direction. And I can move the block to where it goes. But not both at the same time!)

Is there a keyboard toggle -or some other command- to get it to temporarily 'hold this direction', such as holding down <shift> or <cntl>, while I continue to move the block into its final position?

("I'm holding down 'control', but I'm still not in control!")

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
hwalker
in reply to: Anonymous

I have found the alignment parameter to be a bit of a pain. To align to an object you need to have the majority of the cursor on the opposite side of the object you want your block to align to. See the attached image.

Capture.PNG

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Hmm, can you clarify your method? I'm having a hard time following you

Message 4 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I have found the alignment tool to be a bit tricky too. I have moved your post to the Dynamic Blocks forum so you might get m,ore suggestions from others that work with this more frequently.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 13
MMcCall402
in reply to: john.vellek

I thought I read somewhere that the alignment grip reacts to which side of the line the cursor approaches.  So if you move your cursor towards a line from one side you get an alignment in one direction but if you approach it from the other side you'll get an alignment in the opposite direction.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 6 of 13
hwalker

If you look at the picture the majority of my cursor is on the left hand side of the line I've drawn and the symbol is on the right hand side

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Thank you for the replies. This principle I have already figured out. It's just that the tool doesn't follow that principle all the time.  I'll post a screen shot or two of what I'm wrestling with

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

As is typical, the car doesn't act up for the mechanic. And neither do my dynamic blocks at the moment. 

They do sometimes work. But other times, they just can't seem to find the correct alignment direction (such as when I was showing a co-worker last week that a certain part does fit where we intend for it to go... His response was, "...And _that's_ why I don't like dynamic blocks.")

Again, the ability to tell the block to 'hold this alignment' is a feature I appreciate in other cad software I use. (such as holding down the <shift> key until you finish dropping it into place)

I'll keep watching for 'alignment confusion' and post back when it acts up. Thanks, all

Message 9 of 13
GustavoUbriaco

hi! I guess the solution is change the apperture snap settings in apperture command because I think you've 50 pixels in snap aproximation change to 5 I'll atttach a screencast video 1.png2.png3.png

Gustavo Ubriaco Contreras

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: GustavoUbriaco

Thank you, this Aperture setting may be a solution to this. I'm playing around with it. My LT was set to 13, and I'm going back and forth between 5 and 50 to amplify the difference. I will check in again after some further road testing. 

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: GustavoUbriaco

Thanks for the tip.

I had the value on 10 before and got stuck as well - 5 seems to be the magic number 🙂

it works even great with the snap to grid method.

Thanks again.

Message 12 of 13
GustavoUbriaco

You're welcome! thanks to reply!

Gustavo Ubriaco Contreras

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
darien_mctackett

REVIVING A DEAD THREAD

ive been trying to come up with a way to make the alignment parameter work better, when today i was playing with the properties and tried setting the "alignment angle" in the block editor when you select the parameter to the opposite direction, (i.e 180degrees) and found the behavior when aligning to be much more manageable so give that a try if your alignments are flicking back and forth

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report