Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic block partially exploding

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
584 Views, 5 Replies

Dynamic block partially exploding

We have a block of a sink, which started life as someone elses drawing. Over time we have modified it to meet our requirements.

It inserts into a drawing  ok until we hatch any where close to the sink, at which time the block partially explodes and duplicates the taps, outside of the block, but over the blocks taps, this duplicate is also on another layer and colour.

I have attached 2 .dwg, first is ok, the second is where the block has gone wrong but needs exploding to separate out the block from the duplicate taps.

Its very weird, and driving us nuts, can any one shed any light on this? Its the only block(so far) that does this.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

I imagine it is actually an issue with your hatching that is creating boundaries around parts of the block, rather than an issue with the block.  The duplicate objects in your 'corrupted' file are not within the block.  They are external in model space.   

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

You are right I just tested it on my computer and its creating new lines whenever I add a hatch too. Any idea why a hatch would create new lines?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Well, thats a result, of sorts. least it isnt us going mad. A cause would be good though, like to know whats going on.

Message 5 of 6
Libbya

I believe it is just that your block has many parts and the linework is drawn in a very imprecise manner.  Zoom in and you will see that there are ends of lines overlapping slightly and other places where they do not actually close, multiple lines offset just slightly, etc...  The result overwhelms autocad's attempt to generate a sensible hatch boundary.  I'd recommend cleaning up and simplifying the block and then try the hatch command on it.  

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

Both my colleague and myself have cleaned this up in the past. We think it started life as a 3D drawing and then got corrupted before we received it. When I have some down time I will see if I can tidy it up more.

Thank you for your time.

Colin 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report