Did you mean: 

Dimension Override inside a block

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
pallen9JA6T
233 Views, 4 Replies

Dimension Override inside a block

I have dynamic blocks that I want to override a dimension inside of one of the blocks without exploding said block or it changing all of the other blocks. I think it would work kind of like an attribute does. Is this possible?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Libbya
in reply to: pallen9JA6T

Nope.

As a workaround, you could go into block editor, use 'save as' to create a copy of the block, insert the new block and edit the dim in block editor for that single insertion.

Message 3 of 5
pallen9JA6T
in reply to: Libbya

Yes. I thought of that as a work around, but it's not as time efficient as I need it to be and it would just compound the file size. Thanks for the input though.

Message 4 of 5
Libbya

I'm not sure I get where you're coming from.  Is this a 'one off' edit that you need to do?  If so, then you spent a whole lot more time posting your query to this forum than it would take to do the workaround I posted.  If not, and in fact you frequently need to modify the same dimension within the same dynamic block, then that can indeed be done.  What I have done in that situation in the past is to do a text override on the dimension so that it contains just a space.  Then add an attribute that displays the same text style and size as the dim text, and add a field to it referencing the dimension value.  It will display the dim value unless you need to customize it and in that case, you are just editing the attribute.  

Message 5 of 5
pallen9JA6T

It's not a "one-off". I guess my wording was confusing. It will be multiple blocks that I want to change without it changing all of them. Your solution of overriding the dimension with a space and adding an attribute was exactly the suggestion I needed. That's a simple solution and will help a lot. Thank you so much for your time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta