DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert DWG files to AI files

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
15095 Views, 1 Reply

Convert DWG files to AI files

Hello!

I am a graphic designer working in Illustrator CC (v19.2.1).  In the past, I have been able to open DWG files directly into Illustrator, but now it seems I cannot.  I keep getting an error message saying Illustrator doesn't recognize this file format.

I have looked online and can't seem to find an exact answer as to why this is happening.  I know these are 2D floor plans.  My feeling is that the most current versions of AutoCAD and Illustrator CC are not compatible.  I have repeatedly asked the architectural firm to back-save the CAD files to a DWG v2000 or earlier to see if that is the issue but I am not sure if they are not doing this or it is still not working.  Ideally, I would like to open the DWG file so I can work with the proper layers that I need.  Although, if my only option is a PDF, I can open a PDF into Illustrator but the file will be flattened.

I am hoping someone here has insights.

Thank you so much in advance!

Michelle S.

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

They need to "export to autocad" and not just saveas most likely in their ARCH version of autocad, since the latter leaves a lot of newer content intact.

You you can download the free viewer (this is the forum for that) and do it yourself: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/dwg-trueview/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report