Did you mean: 

Stretch only working on last visible window

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
2518 Views, 24 Replies

Stretch only working on last visible window

Somthing changed with stretch (or I changed a setting I cannot figure out). I will try to explain.  I have use ACAD for almost 15 years so I know it use to do this. Muscle memory tries to do this but it does not work anymore.

Okay so, if you have a dense drawing that you want to stretch wider (or narrower) and you need to zoom in to a smaller area to make sure you get the correct objects, then pan out and zoom into another smaller area elsewhere in the drawing, execute 'stretch', the only oblects that move are the objects in the last (most recent) smaller window that you were in.  The objects from the original smaller windows where you started the stretch command from do not move.

I know it use to do this as I have done this countless times, but I changed (or something changed) in the program.

Any help would be appreciated.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

Anything not shown on the screen is eliminated, this changed a long time ago, I think after r13 or r14

Message 3 of 25
Kent1Cooper

One way around that is to use the CP option for selection in Stretch.  You can Zoom in as you choose for get the Crossing Polygon [which can be rectangular and equivalent to plain Crossing if you like] to go where you need it, and Zoom back out before telling it you're done defining the CP, so it will "see" everything you want.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 25
wispoxy

Might be a registry error that needs to be flushed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's info anyway though I know you're experenced.

STRETCH (Command)

Jun 25 2015  |  In-Product View

Applies to AutoCAD 2016, AutoCAD Architecture 2016, AutoCAD Civil 3D 2016, AutoCAD Electrical 2016, AutoCAD MEP 2016, AutoCAD Map 3D 2016, AutoCAD Mechanical 2016, AutoCAD P&ID 2016, AutoCAD Plant 3D 2016, AutoCAD Structural Detailing 2016, and AutoCAD Utility Design 2016
Like (1)Useful!

Stretches objects crossed by a selection window or polygon. 

Find

Objects that are partially enclosed by a crossing window are stretched. Objects that are completely enclosed within the crossing window, or that are selected individually, are moved rather than stretched. Some types of objects such as circles, ellipses, and blocks, cannot be stretched. 

The following prompts are displayed. 

Select objects

Specifies the portion of the object that you want to stretch. Use the cpolygon option or the crossing object selection method. Press Enter when the selection is complete. 

STRETCH moves only the vertices and endpoints that lie inside the crossing selection, leaving those outside unchanged. STRETCH does not modify 3D solids, polyline width, tangent, or curve-fitting information. 

Base Point

Specifies the base point from which the offset for the stretch is calculated. This base point can be outside the area being stretched. 

Second point  Specifies a second point that defines the distance and direction of the stretch. The distance and direction of this point from the base point defines how far the and in what direction the selected portions of the object will be stretched. 
Use first point as displacement  Specifies that the stretch distance and direction will be based on the distance and direction of the base point you specified from the 0,0,0 coordinates in the drawing. 
Displacement
Specifies the relative distance and direction of the stretch. 
  • To set a displacement based on the relative distance from the current location, enter distances in X,Y, Z format. For example, enter 5,4,0 to stretch the selection to a point that is 5 units along the X axis and 4 units along the Y axis from the original point. 
  • To set the displacement based on the distance and direction from the 0,0,0 coordinates in the drawing, click a location in the drawing area. For example, click a point at 1,2,0 to stretch the selection to a point that is 1 unit along the X axis and 2 units along the Y axis from its current location. 
Message 5 of 25
drjohn
in reply to: wispoxy

Not a registry error.

As Patchy said, entities that go off the screen during a stretch and panning are dropped from the selection set when they go off screen. Been that way for ages.

Regards,

DJ

Message 6 of 25
jggerth

@Anonymous wrote:

Might be a registry error that needs to be flushed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using a registry cleaner on autocad has a tendency to trash things.  Generally requiring a Repair or Reinstall to get back to functional.

Message 7 of 25
wispoxy
in reply to: drjohn

"Been that way for ages"

Never noticed.
Message 8 of 25
wispoxy
in reply to: jggerth

"Using a registry cleaner on AutoCAD has a tendency to trash things."

You're assuming the wrong registry, I'm talking system registry, you're talking about AutoCAD registry, two entire differences.
Message 9 of 25
jggerth

Uhmmm, what is the 'autocad registry', and how is it different from the system registry?

AFAIK, registry cleaners, e.g. CCleaner, etc., only work on the operating system registry, and that's the scenario that's been reported to cause problems.

Message 10 of 25
pendean
in reply to: jggerth

CCLEANER is trouble-free as far as AutoCAD is concerned if you accept the default settings: Win7 and Win8/8.1 so far with no issues in an office full of PCs.
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

But I still cannot figure out if I changed a setting somewhere or if the program has changed as this phenomenon occurs on other computers in the office and on my laptop (two different registries) so I am not in favor of a registry cleaner at this moment.

Maybe it is a crossing window setting as it also happens in the MOVE command?????

Take your example here and do this in your model space.
Draw the rectangle with the cross hatches in it.
Zoom down in the area of the #1, so you cannot see the area of #2, you can only see the corner of the rect with the end of one line.
Left click to start your selection box.
Zoom back out so you can see the whole drawing area again.
Zoom back in to where the #2 is so you can close the selection box and not see the area where the #1 was, again so you can only see the corner of the box and the end of the other line.
Now click again to close selction box, enter and stretch the object in the 0 (zero) direction.

On my machine (all machines) not all of the objects stretch that were in a backwards selection window.
After strectch to the 0 degrees, mine looks like this.9283-02-Model.jpg
The hatch line that was not visible in my window when I closed the command does not stretch although it was in a backwards selection window.

This is very helpful on very dense drawings when you cannot pick the correct area without zooming down in.

I PROMISE YOU it did for 15 years.

HOWEVER, if I do the same command string where I can see all the objects in the window at one time it stretched fine.

I changed a setting somewhere (or AutoCAD changed) and it is driving me nuts.

Thanks for all the replies people.
Message 12 of 25
Kent1Cooper

It does the same back in the 2004 version, so I'm wondering what method you've been using all these years -- an even older version in which it worked as you expect, perhaps?  One thing I find very curious is that while it ignores the end of the Line that's inside the crossing window at upper right but not in view when you pick the other corner of the crossing window, it does not ignore that upper right corner of the rectangle that's also not in view.  It seems to be a matter of what objects in the window are visible, not what stretchable places on them are visible, because it "finds" both stretchable corners of the rectangle.

Have you tried the CP option I suggested before?  Call up Stretch, type CP, Zoom in around just the upper right corner as you describe and give it two points [the top corners of the window], then Pan/Zoom to see just the lower right corner of the rectangle and give it the other two corners of the window, then Zoom back to see everything before hitting Enter to complete the CP polygon, and it should work [it does for me, in limited testing].

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Kent,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am on AutoCAD LT 2015 and I have a subscription license so I get all updates.

So as I tinker with it some more I find the same phenomenon occurs with MOVE also.

Take the sample example as before but use two parallel lines and stretch the lines to 270 (down).

Mine looks like this as the line on the right was not in the visible windows screen when I finished the stretch command, it was part of the backwards selection box when I started it but not the visible when the selection box was closed.

See below,

9283-03-Model.jpg

Only one lines MOVES.

Message 14 of 25
Kent1Cooper

Yes, it's the same issue.  But the same CP approach works for that, too.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Yes, thanks. That's a bunch of extra clicks. Not as fast as it use to be.

I really believe now that it is a 'select objects' setting, but I have no idea where to look for it.

Also, ROTATE does the same thing.

Thanks again,

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous

Make sure your Visual Style is set to "2D Wireframe" and not just "Wireframe".

That worked for me.

Message 17 of 25
cforrestdrafting

I know this is an old thread but this just happened to me and I found the answer in a different section.

Set SELECTIONOFFSCREEN to <1> (it is probably at <0> right now)

I have no idea how or why mine suddenly changed but this worked!

Message 18 of 25
CynthiaPaish

This recently started happening to me as well and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I go to use the stretch function, left click & drag a window over the lines I want to stretch, and it works fine so long as I DO NOT zoom or pan. If I do, I lose the ability to stretch some or all of the lines I've selected depending on where I pan or zoom. If I get as close as I can to where I originally created the selection window, all of my lines are still selected. I've been using AutoCAD since 2013 and have never had this issue until a few months ago. I just switched from 2021 to 2023, and I'm still having this issue. My boss said it could be a GPU software issue, so I rolled it back and am still having this problem. I was going to ScreenCast the issue, but that program is no more. I know AutoCAD loves to change random parameters out of the blue, and I'd love to know if this is one of those cases. It's almost like the selection window I create becomes a boundary that I can't stretch outside of. I'm trying to stretch a length of rail from one end of a building to the other, and it's now impossible, because I can't zoom in to see what I'm attaching to with my crosshairs.

Message 19 of 25

Did you try this?

Set SELECTIONOFFSCREEN to <1> (it is probably at <0> right now)
Message 20 of 25

That's not it. It was one of the first things I checked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost