Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

workable stl import?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Sungod3000
283 Views, 4 Replies

workable stl import?

Hi,

I see that this was asked about before but from all the post I couldnt work out a solution.

I import and stl that is not overly complex and it appears normaly in fusion, but it doesnt behave like a body. I wanted to cut out a shape with combine but the stl cant be selected as target body. 

I tried to convert it but that doesnt change anything. What the correct procudure to integrate stl/ pointclouds in workable fusion model?

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
NicolasXu
in reply to: Sungod3000

Hi Sungod3000,

Thanks for reaching out. There is a similar question in another thread. You may refer to that thread for detailed information @jakefowler provided. 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/importing-a-3d-file/td-p/5908808

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
Sungod3000
in reply to: NicolasXu

Meshmixer I wouldnt have guessed that 😄 I mean I like it the branch supports it can do for 3d printing is awesome, but in general with fusions build in 3d printing features there must be a way to work with imported models from youmagine or thingiverse. I my experience 90% of all models I get from those platforms need to be customized especially the technical parts. 

For example the 3d printing extruders are usually fitting for different sized axles and bearrings, it would be to good to be true if some software could recognize cylinders or other features out of a pointcloud and let you manipulate them as such but there needs to be at least some possiblity to cut out a part and remodel new geometry onto it?

Message 4 of 5
jakefowler
in reply to: Sungod3000

Hi @Sungod3000,

The Meshmixer recommendation was for the particular workflow described in the other thread (combining a complex/dense mesh with other geometry - that's not easily achievable inside Fusion at the moment).

There is a lot of interest in being able to work with mesh data directly inside of Fusion, and we do recognise that there's more to do done (which is why we're working on a new toolset for this! preview video here). 

For now, our options for working with Mesh data inside Fusion are the following:

1. Use the Mesh to BRep command to convert the mesh to a solid body. This is a pretty rudimentary tool at the moment - it converts each facet of the mesh into a solid face - so the resultant body won't be all that useful. But it may allow you to perform simple Booleans between objects, etc.

2. Use the mesh body as a snap target for T-Splines (video😞 build a T-Splines body that roughly matches the mesh shape, and use the Pull command and Object Snap options inside of the Sculpt workspace to build a T-Splines body that closely conforms to the mesh data. This gives you a much cleaner model than option 1, but obviously requires more manual work, and gives you spline surfaces rather than precise cylinders, etc.

For the workflow you describe (extracting precise analytic geometry from a mesh); that's the kind of thing we're aiming for with the upcoming mesh toolset. It's technically a pretty big challenge, though, so the process of converting the model won't be completely automatic (to begin with at least). In terms of reverse-engineering mesh data, here's what we are looking at supporting for the initial release:

1. The ability to extract cross-sections from mesh data, and build lines, circles, etc. from those sections to make up profiles, which can the be used with the regular modeling tools to rebuild the shape.

2. The ability to select a regions of the mesh, and approximate planes/cylinders/etc. from those regions, to build up a set of faces that eventually make up the solid shape.

Does this kind of workflow sound like it might provide what you are after?

If you're able to share a file/link to the kind of model you want to work with, I can see what's possible with the in-development toolset. Then if you like I can show you what that might look like + get your feedback.

Thanks!
Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 5 of 5
Sungod3000
in reply to: jakefowler

Wow, that video is impressive. What i described before sounds indeed a bit far fetched, but that would make 3d scanning a much more viable option and any extration of geometry (even with user input) would be great.

The transform to Brep Ill check out, the ability to replace and append parts of the model would already be enough for most issues. 

I managed to bolean cut for my special case back in blender (the meshmixer bolean didnt produce usable results^^)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report