Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the Fusion360 ultimate application on OSX?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
rjduranjr
1179 Views, 17 Replies

Where is the Fusion360 ultimate application on OSX?

I just "installed" fusion360 ultimate on OSX but can't find the app that launches it. Whats going on here?

Having the autodesk content downloader open all the time to launch the installer to get a message to open fusion360 does not seem like a good way to just open an application.

please advise

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
baribak
in reply to: rjduranjr

Hi,

Thanks for using Fusion 360!

When Fusion is installed on the Mac it's launch icon will be located on the LaunchPad by default.

If you don't see the Fusion icons on the LaunchPad page, it could be when Fusion was installed it forced the creation of a second LaunchPad page. To see if this is the case check the bottom of the LaunchPadscreen for a pair (or more) of "dots" at the bottom of the LaunchPad screen and click on them to move between pages. Fusion may have been installed to a second page.

Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 10.22.00 AM.png

If this isn't the case, please let us know.

Regards, KpB

Kevin Baribault
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance
Message 3 of 18
rjduranjr
in reply to: baribak

Got it. Thanks!

Message 4 of 18
wizwho
in reply to: rjduranjr

I hate the LaunchPad. I want the Fusion360 icon in the Dock, and at least an alias in Applications like any other Mac app. Why is that so hard? How do I do it?

Message 5 of 18
baribak
in reply to: wizwho

Hi,

I'm wondering why the icon isn't on the Dock. For single-user install the icon should be automatically added. 

If working with an install from the Apple Store, then try the following:

1. Launch Finder.
  2. Navigate to the Applications folder. 
  3. Locate the Fusion 360 app entry and drag it to the Dock.

This should add the icon to the Dock.

Regards,

Kevin Baribault
Message 6 of 18
wizwho

Thanks for the response.

That worked until the latest update, which required a deinstall/reinstall (argh). Now all I find in the Applications folder is an alias, which won't reveal it's original and wont stick in the dock. It's not in Application Support, and an all-mac search can't find the original either. Any ideas?

Message 7 of 18
baribak

Hi,

Can you tell me what your entry is in the \Applications folder?

When installing from the App Store it should be Fusion360.app.

I can drag this to the Dock. Specifically I drag it in between existing icons, wait for the dock to expand and then release.

Are you seeing something different?

Regards,

Kevin Baribault
Message 8 of 18
wizwho

Thanks for your response.

Not from the Apple Store this update. Not sure about previous version.

The Applications folder entry is: Autodesk Fusion 360.app. It won’t reveal it’s original nor stick to the dock.

by default 2017-03-07 at 10.03.34 AM.jpg

Message 9 of 18
baribak

Hi,

So it sounds like you have installed using the Autodesk Fusion 360 Admin Install.pkg?

If so, you should be able to:

1. Bring up LaunchPad
  2. Click and hold the Fusion icon and drag it to the Dock.
  3. Hold the icon between existing icons where you want it and when the icons split, release the mouse button.

This should put that icon in the Dock.

Regards, 

Kevin Baribault
Message 10 of 18
wizwho

Already tried that, and just reconfirmed. Dock icons won't even split when dragging Fusion360 icon from Launchpad.

Message 11 of 18
wizwho

I just discovered the Fusion360 icon is already in the dock, which is why it wouldn't accept it again. Usually when I upgrade an app with a dock icon it just automatically links to the upgrade, but  the Fusion360 icon got stuck clear at the right end of the dock where I only accidently found it. Problem solved.

Reveal in Finder shows the original, named Autodesk Fusion 360 instead of Fusion360 which I searched for in vain, deeply buried in Application Support.

It's very frustrating dealing with Autodesk's non-standard Mac install procedure.

Message 12 of 18
baribak

Hi,

Glad to hear it's working. 

On the install we offer both a single-user install (which is what you have), a global install, and a more "Apple" version available through the Mac App Store (also a global install).

Simply search for Fusion 360 and choose Get/Install.

Regards,

Kevin Baribault
Message 13 of 18
wizwho

I've heard that Apple Store apps are often not as fully featured as original vendor apps. Is that the case here?

Do I have to uninstall and start over to install the Apple Store version?

Thanks,

Ted King

Message 14 of 18
baribak

Hi,

Yes you would uninstall this version and then download/install Fusion 360 through the AppStore.

Regards,

Kevin Baribault
Message 15 of 18
sanguish

It is REALLY important to note that adding files to the dock is a BAD THING.

There should be a link in /Applications, and I do that manually every time. 

I'm interested if Fusion even obeys the sandbox issues when downloaded from Autodesk.  

But there is no question the dock is not to place to put icons automatically (I don't care who does it, you have to kill the doc app to do it.. bad idea)

I'd rather see this packaged properly even from Autodesk. Right now it's a bit of a mess to find anything. Including the app if you take it off the doc.

ex-apple employee (13 years there)

Message 16 of 18
rklopp
in reply to: sanguish

The latest update took Fusion out of the Dock and left only a question mark, which did nothing when clicked. Fusion also is not showing in my Applications folder. When I type "Fusion" or "Autodesk" in Spotlight, the only app that shows is Uninstall. Tempting though that might be, it's not what I want. The only place I could find the app is in the Launchpad, which I never use, because it's hard to access. I was able to drag the icon from Launchpad into the Dock, but geez louise, why is it so hard to find the @#$*!~#$# app in the first place??

Message 17 of 18
baribak
in reply to: rklopp

Hi,

If you install Fusion from the Apple Store if will install it per Apple's specifications by installing to the \Applications folder (as a global application) and putting an icon on the Launchpad.

The install used by the version of Fusion downloaded from Autodesk.com will install as a single-user version putting icons on both the LaunchPad and dock.

Aside from the Dock differences the other one if the .COM version also installs an "uninstall" icon on the Launchpad. For Apple store installs, you drag the icon to the trash. 

When you see a "?" in the dock it usually means you had manually added that icon to the Dock and after an update of Fusion, that icon no longer points to where the updated application (resides the folder changes when we update). All you need to do is remove that and replace it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kevin Baribault
Message 18 of 18
wizwho

Thanks, already switched to Apple Store version. Much better.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report