Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to edit mesh

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
bagelss
11256 Views, 8 Replies

Unable to edit mesh

I'm trying to edit an STL file by trying to combine it with a body but it won't work. I've tried importing it to an OBJ file but that won't work either. Is there any easy way to be able to edit a mesh in Fusion360?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
GrAndAG
in reply to: bagelss

You have to convert the mesh to solid body (BRep) in order to operate with it as with Fusion native object.

Message 3 of 9
bagelss
in reply to: GrAndAG

thanks!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: bagelss

The solution you showed did not show how to edit a mesh. It showed how to change a mesh into a solid and then edit it. I am unable to convert mesh to solid because of too many faces. I am trying to make my mesh have less faces so it can be changed into a solid for cutting. There is no way to do this after the latest update because you can no longer edit the mesh object. 

Message 5 of 9
laughingcreek
in reply to: Anonymous

After the last update I had to re-enable the mesh work space in preferences.   Have you checked that?

mesh workspace.png

Message 6 of 9
pmcnicoll
in reply to: laughingcreek

I've checked this option under preview, but I still don't have the "convert mesh to BRep" option, nor can I find the full mesh editor as shown in this video. When I attempt to create a mesh under the create menu, the mesh editor pops up, but my options are limited, and I dont have the mesh to BRep option anywhere I can see. Have the commands changed location? The mesh editor seems to be a temporary and fleeting interface now; as soon as I click the green checkmark on the right side of the toolbar it disappears. 

Message 7 of 9
laughingcreek
in reply to: pmcnicoll

presently, you can't be in timeline mode for the "convert mesh to brep" command to be present.  the options are-

-turn off your time line (I suggest turning it back on after you do your conversion)

or if you already have a timeline that you don't want to get rid off-

-create a base feature (create menu), open the mesh (while stil in the base feature!), convert the mesh to brep, exit base feature (green circle w/check upper right corner)

this second option is what the user who posted the video did.  creating the base feature is the step your missing for doing like the video. 

Message 8 of 9
pmcnicoll

That's helpful, thank you. That was my missing link.

Message 9 of 9
bwharton357

Hi there, 

I have this issue as well, except I have followed the steps, and switched off the timeline and I still do not have the function to edit mesh, or have the model workspace to reduce the mesh size. 

Any ideas? 

Cheers, 
Ben

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report