Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Unable to create rectangular pattern

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
richiemag
2002 Views, 12 Replies

Unable to create rectangular pattern

Hi 
I'm having trouble with rectangular patterns.

I drew a rectangular box extruded it, then drew a smaller rectangle and extruded it.

Rectangular pattern works fine, tried to do the same thing with a 1/4" hole and can't get it to work.

I am trying to represent multiple shelf pin holes in as piece of wood. 

Thanks for any help.

Richie

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
etfrench
in reply to: richiemag

Do you have faces selected in the Pattern dialog?

PatternSelection.jpg

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
richiemag
in reply to: etfrench

Thank you for your reply.

Yes i have faces selected in the dialog box.

I can select distance, quantity etc, but when it comes to selecting the direction of the pattern of the row of holes

It will not allow me to select the direction.

Thanks

Message 4 of 13
richiemag

Also if I try the same thing with a rectangular hole the pattern option works fine.

Message 5 of 13
jeff_strater

Hi @richiemag,

You should be a able to select any linear edge, or work axis, or sketch line as a direction.  The other thing to be aware of is the different types of pattern. If you are doing a Face pattern, you have to make sure to select all the faces you want to pattern (in the case of a hole, including the bottom of the hole, if it is not all the way through).  You can also do a Feature pattern, selecting the hole feature in the timeline.  

Here is a quick screencast showing how to make a pattern of holes.  If that doesn't help, please feel free to post a screencast showing what you see.  That will likely show us what the problem might be.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 6 of 13
richiemag
in reply to: jeff_strater

WOW Thank you so much, It worked.

Selecting the edge of the component worked.

I was trying to select the edge of the hole.

Thanks again

Richie 

Message 7 of 13
richiemag

Thanks again for your help.

Can you tell me how to change the size of all the hole in the pattern so I don't have

to do them individuality.

Thank you. 

Message 8 of 13
davebYYPCU

If you know which dimension was used for the hole, you can edit it in the Modify > Change Parameter, not the easiest to do,

You can edit the original feature or sketch dimension, Fusion will push the update throuigh. 

Message 9 of 13
richiemag
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Thanks

I'll give it a try.

Message 10 of 13
HughesTooling

How was the hole created, with the hole tool or a sketch? If you select the cylindrical surface of a hole and right click you get an option to edit the feature if it's made with the hole tool or an option to edit the profile sketch if it created from a sketch. If you want to edit the size of an individual hole right click the cylindrical surface and select press pull, on the dialog select New Offset for the offset type.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 13

Hi,

I have created a web pattern that extrudes to a curved surface, I have hade sure that it extrudes the selected faces (curved). When I create the rectangular pattern in 1 direction using the feature option, the ghost of the patter shows correctly but when I click ok, the pattern does not work. I've tried changing the extrude options (faces to extend to), and the different pattern options (identical, adjust and optimise) with no luck. This is a web pattern using simple rectangles extruded and requires the rectangle patters for identical faces evenly spaced. I will not continue my project if there is a compute error so early in it. Please help.

Message 12 of 13

hard to say without something to look at.  exporting and attach your .f3d file would be ideal.  some screen shots at least.

this is also an old thread, may or not be related.  usually best to start your own thread.  more people tend to see the question that way.

Message 13 of 13

hey, thanks for replying, this was killing my brain.

Here's what I did wrong:

Created an extrusion for the web cooling fins go on 2 faces (they are offset from each other)

Created the web inside the 2 recessed areas

Tried to pattern only the web pattern without patterning their recesses

Solution:

Patterned the recesses first by themselves

Patterned the web cooling fins

Epic fail, maybe I need more coffee.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report