Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

success story and why I love Fusion 360 and the cloud

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cekuhnen
669 Views, 4 Replies

success story and why I love Fusion 360 and the cloud

Currently I work on a new medical project for out Bio Engineering department.

I have to design a new housing for a product that goes over an ultra sound probe.

I used ReMake first to digitize the probe and then in Fusion 360 I build a cable housing starting with the tip.

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 9.30.10 PM.png

Thanks to the Ultimaker I was quickly able to build a shell that fit the actual probe quite well. Sketch and solid modeling

commands were pretty productive to use. I needed to have a 3D print so I could verify and experience the cable layout.Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 9.25.55 PM.png

After the print I went in to Blender to quickly explore many cable layout options. For cable layouts it is extremely efficient

because of the toolset it has - quickly digitally prototype the volume the cable bundling would require.

BTW for those who do not own Illustrator or don't want to use Inkscape Gravit Designer is a fantastic free illustration

and design tool: https://app.designer.io/

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 9.33.58 PM.png

The question now was how do those different orange bodies feel and more important what volume do they fill in my hand.

I brought all the Blender sub-D shells back into Fusion and via T-Splines and patch tools created the solids I could then

send to the CAM module, generate the GCode and save the design in a project folder I share with the woodshop.

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 9.38.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-10 at 9.22.22 PM.png

At their position the loaded the design exported the G-Code and CNC milled the design.

They needed to adjust the CAM set-up since I was no aware of some updates but because we share the project folder

I was instantly able to see all the adjustments on my side when I opened the file again.

After evaluating the feel of the foam models and receiving feedback from the medical staff I brought the cable layout

into Fusion so that I could continue working on the rest of the housing.

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 9.20.50 PM.png

So all in all the design tools, combining Fusion and Blender, and the collaborative ability through sharing centralized files

in the cloud worked out really well. Having also design and CAM in one app is very helpful. It not only prevents you

from sending files via apps, but also allows everybody just to focus on learning on UI and have access to the tools you need.

I have now students ranging from product, engineering, to jewelry and sculpture learning Fusion on their own and tinkering

with 3D printing and CNC milling.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
brianrepp
in reply to: cekuhnen

This is an awesome share - thanks for posting, Claas!

Message 3 of 5
TrippyLighting

Just saw this now and have to agree with @brianrepp. Excellent case study.

This is a particularly good example of how to use different tools to solve a bigger problem that neither of these tools could solve on their own.

Peter Doering
Message 4 of 5
cekuhnen
in reply to: TrippyLighting

@TrippyLighting

That is very true - I don't see fusion modo blender as software apps

but rather as tool collection.

as long as you can share cad data I think this approach

will work better than forcing a project only into on software.

downside is that you need know more than one app but overtone

this will become easier.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 5 of 5
JonSchaeffer

Fun and exciting stuff...!

Always blown away with your skill level with design. Very cool stuff.

I am very interested in collaborating with other users of Fusion who need production or prototype parts made.

Proud to say I now have my own CNC Machine Shop (Haas VF2)

You should be able to contact me through my profile.

Lets make another success story! 

www.genesisprecisionaz.com
info@genesisprecisionaz.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report