Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slicer for Fusion 360

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
tprice71
3023 Views, 7 Replies

Slicer for Fusion 360

I have another question about Slicer. I can't seem to get the model back into Fusion from Slicer. I have created a plywood model that I would like to render. I click on the pull down in Slicer and select SAVE, then SAVE TO FUSION TEAM. It puts it in my file system in Fusion as a .3dml file

When I click on that file from Fusion, my web browser opens and does nothing. I watched the video @Aaron.Magnin posted on the blog and he exported it back in easily.  How is this done?  BTW I am not using a MAC if that makes any difference.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
gmelantoni
in reply to: tprice71

Hi tprice71, 

Let me explain what gets saved to Fusion team, and how to work on your specific case.

There are two things we save to Fusion Team directly from the app. It's the 3dmk file, and the slices as vectors. The 3dmk file is just the reference of the mesh with a description of the design technique. It's not the final mesh as you see it in Slicer. Basically because there are not many cases in which you use this. Rendering would be one, clearly.

So what you need to do is Export from Slicer, and use STL or OBJ. In any of those cases, you will export a zip file that contains one STL/OBJ per 3D slice, and one STL/OBJ for the whole model.

In Fusion, you will Insert Mesh to either a new design or within the context of your existing design. Then you apply materials and render.

Here are three images with the process.

By the way, if you click on Assembly in Slicer, you can see your model as plywood and the assembly steps are displayed in a timeline. Maybe you find this useful.

Hope this helps.

Guillermo Melantoni
Senior Product Line Manager
“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 3 of 8
tprice71
in reply to: gmelantoni

Thanks @gmelantoni !!

That worked great! I have my model into Fusion. This is my first time working with meshes, you can't really seem to do anything with it. Applying new materials didn't work, but when I put in in the render environment it looked liked it carried over the texture from slicer.

I also brought in the individual parts of the assembly and put them together, the joints wouldn't work because the parts are not components. I also can't measure points to check accuracy of the cuts. I did download the dxf files and check the over. The cuts were off a bit, but this was my first run at it.

You can right click on the mesh in the tree and select "make components from bodies" , but that didn't do anything.

I want to make more individual parts from Fusion and add to the assembly brought over from slicer. Slicer is still absolutely amazing! I hope everyone takes a minute to try it out.

Message 4 of 8
eineins

I am having a similar scenario. I did get to the point of getting the stl or obj back into fusion but i can not use the cam function on it now. I am working on a project using my own design for a lamp but I was planning on cnc milling it out. i am also new to the cnc scene and use a grbl controller and have done all my work from the cnc function on fusion. Is there a way to get the slices back into fusion and new bodies?

Message 5 of 8
alokbhargava17
in reply to: eineins

I have another question:

I presumed Slicer is for 3D printing. How do I interface slicer with my 3D printer? My printer accepts GCode.

Message 6 of 8
raresh1905
in reply to: alokbhargava17

@alokbhargava17: I don't think slicer is for 3d printing, its more for laser cur, and for that you can safe the DXF files for LaserCut or CNC Mill. However you can export the files as STL (here you will get a zip with all the pieces) import them one by on into your 3d printer slicer (where you transform the 3d model into gcode) than print it! 

Message 7 of 8
leoburna

hello from Argentina
I can not export from slicer for fusion 360
the get planes icon does not appear
help me please

Message 8 of 8
gmelantoni
in reply to: leoburna

Que tal, Leo?

Probably the resolution of your machine doesn't allow Get Plans to show up. We've seen that before. Try collapsing other tabs, or tweaking your computer's resolution.

Guillermo Melantoni
Senior Product Line Manager
“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report