Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Joint Limits

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jagboy2013
2430 Views, 8 Replies

Setting Joint Limits

The Joint Limits dialog is about the least intuitive and most incomprehensible piece of UI design I have ever seen.  I have a cylindrical joint and I'm trying to set the limits for the linear motion.   But no matter what I try, I can't make sense out of how this is supposed to work.  If I click on "Min" or "Max", BOTH Min and Max get checked or unchecked.  When I enter a value into one textbox, the value is entered into BOTH textboxes.  No matter what I do, the motion is either unconstrained, or there is no motion whatsoever.

What on earth is the logic here, and why doesn't the dialog operate in a logical, predictable, OBVIOUS manner?

Regards,

Ray L.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Trigg3r
in reply to: jagboy2013

It can be a little confusing, but Cylinder Limits has two motions, Rotate and Slide.

I think you're trying to set Max/Min for the Rotate hence you can either set both or none as you'd go 0 -> 360 and back through 0.

In the motion drop down at the top, choose Slide, you can then set the linear motion you're after.

See the pictures below.

Select1.PNGSelect2.PNG

Message 3 of 9
jagboy2013
in reply to: Trigg3r

No, I was selecting Slide, and getting the same goofy behavior I get with rotate.  It appears to me the ONLY way to get rational behavior is to use the (tiny and nearly invisible) "handles" on the motion "ruler" to set the two positions.  Typing into the text boxes simply does not work UNLESS you first at least click on, if not move, the corresponding "handle".

Regards,

Ray L.

Message 4 of 9
Trigg3r

Weird, looks like a bug then. Is this on Mac or Windows ?

Works fine here on Win 10.

Message 5 of 9
jagboy2013

Win10, 64-bit.

Regards,

Ray L.

Message 6 of 9
Trigg3r

Is this a file you can share ?

Export to archive, save to computer and upload here if so.

Message 7 of 9
jagboy2013

I can induce goofy behavior with a trivial assembly of only two parts.  It seems to depend on the specific values entered into the text boxes.  Some values cause BOTH textboxes to be updated, while others behave as expected, and I can't see any rhyme or reason to the behavior.  I have to WATCH both textboxes whenever I change either.  It appears completely random to me.  Yesterday, playing around with it, I had to set Min to 0, Max to -3.0 to get the motion I wanted.  Today, it won't even let me do that - the Max value MUST be larger than the Min value.  I have seen this same unpredictable behavior every single time I've tried to use this feature.

Regards,

Ray L.

Message 8 of 9
gmdimarzio88

Does anyone know if joint limits will ever be added to the joint creation box, instead of this being a separate menu, and step? Just curious

Message 9 of 9
jagboy2013
in reply to: gmdimarzio88

It would also be nice to do away with the Rotate/Slide drop-down, and simply have both present at all times in the dialog.

Regards,

Ray L.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report