194 Posts
68 Kudos
11 Solutions
Accepted Solution

Rotate cube to stand on one corner?

104 Views, 4 Replies
February

Ok, this is embarrasing, but I have a really simple question:

Assume I have a solid cube that was extruded from a sketch on the top plane, and one corner/vertex is at the origin. If I want to rotate this cube so that it stands on the "origin" corner so that the opposite (diagonally) corner is perfectly vertical above it, is there an easy way to do that?

I know I can rotate it twice, first by 45 degrees on x and then by 35.264 degrees (or to be precise: atan(1/sqrt(2))) on y (attached file), but is there some non-numerical way, like creating some construction geometry and snapping or aligning to that?

Here's another way using a sketch.

Mark

AUTODESK EXPERT ELITE
6640 Posts
2393 Kudos
947 Solutions

Re: Rotate cube to stand on one corner?

February in reply to: mroek

Here's one way using a joint. I had to make the cube a component, this might be a good idea as the sketch moves with the body.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

Advocate
194 Posts
68 Kudos
11 Solutions

February in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling

Thanks, I didn't think of that. However, I would prefer to just be able to rotate the body without converting it to a component first, but you did provide a solution.  :-)

I'll hold off a bit before accepting it, in case someone else chimes in with different ideas.

AUTODESK EXPERT ELITE
6640 Posts
2393 Kudos
947 Solutions

February in reply to: mroek

Here's another way using a sketch.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

Advocate
194 Posts
68 Kudos
11 Solutions

February in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling

Thanks a bunch, I actually like that method better, and will accept that as the solution!