Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Project methodology

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
cylindric
435 Views, 8 Replies

Recommended Project methodology

Hi folks. I'm fairly new to F360, and have been using it primarily to create plans destined for a laser cutter. Here is an example, an arcade cabinet for a RaspberryPi.picade.png

One of the things that's come up is that I have put each of the panels into a separate "file" in my project, and then I link to them in a master assembly file. The problem with this is that I can't easily reference between the parts, for example if I make a panel a bit bigger, I also need to edit the sides and manually make it all match up.

Would I be better off having everything as separate components in a single file? Then I would be able to project and reference all sorts of common elements, and use parameters to define things like material thickness (which affects the size of all the slots).

The question that raises is should I then put all the sketches sort of "flattened out" in the document, and use the assembly constraints to move things into place? Or sketch everything "in place" where it should end up?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
robduarte
in reply to: cylindric

Yes, you should definitely just create components within the same design. It only makes sense to create separate designs ("files") in a case where the thing you're designing is a part that stands on its own and could potentially be used in several different designs.

Rob Duarte
Associate Professor in Art, Florida State University
Co-Director FSU Facility for Arts Research
http://art.fsu.edu/rob-duarte/

Twitter | YouTube

Message 3 of 9
cylindric
in reply to: robduarte

Okay, so for the purchased accessories such as speakers, USB connectors and that sort of gubbins, that I could potentially re-use in other projects. Makes sense.

I wonder, should I draw all the parts on the same "Top" plane? I'm sort of struggling to work out how to reference maybe the width of one panel, to it's neighbour's height that attaches to it.

Message 4 of 9
TrippyLighting
in reply to: cylindric

What this workflow wiht linked cmponents provides you with is the proper structure in therms of wher sketches, bodies etc are located.

Once you design everything in one file you'll have to make sure to pay attention as to if and what component is activated when you start creating new sketches.

I've sumarised that in Fusion 360's R.U.L.E #1.

As it pertains to linked components, for purchased componets that you either download existing 3D date or creat geometry yourself, you'd design these in separate files. If these part are not modified, however, after inserting them into your design you should break that kink. in preparation for a class I co hosted at Autodesk Unversity this handout was created using Google docs. It contains a section on when and when not to use linked components.

Peter Doering
Message 5 of 9
cylindric
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Fantastic, thanks for the resources 🙂

Message 6 of 9
robduarte

There ought to be a sticky link to this document (and the video of the presentation) in the forum. It makes clear some best practices that aren't really documented anywhere else.

Rob Duarte

Twitter | YouTube

Message 7 of 9
TrippyLighting

There is a sticky with a link to that document an the video. It's just not that obvious.

In general I can recommend for anyone to go and watch the classes recorded at Autodesk University.

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 4.52.02 PM.png

Peter Doering
Message 8 of 9
robduarte

I definitely have, and I saw your talk and the handout a while ago. Just thinking that this should be something that new users can find as easily as possible.

Rob Duarte

Twitter | YouTube

Message 9 of 9
TrippyLighting

I agree! A lot of good material is available but it is scattered in quite a lot of places. Until another user posted a link to an Autodesk University video I was not even aware that such a thing as Autodesk University even existed.

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report