Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R style wheel in T slot profile

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
sztamas1990
1708 Views, 12 Replies

R style wheel in T slot profile

Hello folks,

First thing first: let me tell you that I'm just starting to work with fusion 360 and any kind of 3d modelling software so please be patient with me. I highly apprichiate any help!

So my question:

Can somebody explain me step by step, that how can I fit the wheel inside the T - slot? (picture is enclosed)

I would like to demonstrate the motion of the wheel in the slot. 

but when I trying to use align tool it always align the center point of the wheel instead of the surface..

Thank you for your help!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 3 of 13

Of course! File is enclosed!

Thank you for your help!

Message 4 of 13
etfrench
in reply to: sztamas1990

It's not easy to align the wheel with the extrusion because you need the fillet arc on the wheel to be tangent to the fillet arc on the extrusion. 

Wheel_Extrusion.jpg

The wheel and the extrusion are a poor match. The load bearing surfaces will be extremely small and the wear on either the extrusion or wheel will be high.  It will be very difficult to maintain accurate alignment.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
SaeedHamza

Hi,

I checked your file and I think the best way to get this done is by using a joint, and for that you need to create a joint origin between the 2-interior faces of the T-slot ( shown in the picture below ), and then use the joint command to align your wheel perfectly in the middle, but your wheel is too big ( shown in the picture below ) so I recommend you make it smaller to make it more sense.

Hope that helps, regards.

Saeedrdfb.pngsrbsfd.pngsrdfv.pngUntitled.png

Message 6 of 13
sztamas1990
in reply to: SaeedHamza

Thank you for your advice!

I cannot make smaller wheel it need to be run on the sides of the slot.
I mean as it could fit in the slot. (as you can see on the enclosed pics - created by etfrench)

Can I make two joint origins side by side of the slot and align the wheel to them?

Message 7 of 13
daniel_lyall

Use a joint origin on the extrusion, under type use between two faces, then just snap it into where ever (try to get it level with the top of the extrusion), then you can move it to where you wont it to be, you can edit its position after it been placed.

then just use a joint between the dead center of the wheel and the joint origin. I will pop up a screencast soon.

@SaeedHamza yes it's your idea.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 8 of 13
daniel_lyall
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 9 of 13
SaeedHamza

All rights reserved lol 😛
But nice screencast bro

Message 10 of 13
etfrench
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Using a joint origin at the top of the extrusion will not work as demonstrated in the screenshot I attached.  Unfortunately, Fusion 360 doesn't have a tool to mate tangent arcs, so the OP will need to use a sketch and other geometry to determine the precise position the wheel will ride on the extrusion.

Mating these wheels and extrusions is really not a very good idea if this is for a CNC application.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
daniel_lyall
in reply to: etfrench

If he sits the wheel centered at the end of the extrusion and zooms right in you can get it lined up quite well

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 12 of 13
sztamas1990
in reply to: etfrench

I'm planning to make my low budget laser engraver/flatbed plotter machine based on popular diy cnc kits just like shapeoko 2 or OX cnc. For sure with these thinny extrusions I only want to cut balsa wood and cardboards.

I tried to choose my building parts Based on my middle european location and low budget. But honestly I would like to know your opinion.   

Why do you think that these materials are not good for application? 

Message 13 of 13
etfrench

Both the wheels and that extrusion will work well for that application, just not together.  The bearing surface between the two is very small which means the load will be high, which in turn means the wear will be high.  Either use a wheel designed for the extrusion or an extrusion designed for the wheel.

ETFrench

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report