Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pasted new component fails to join to existing body

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
marjamar
489 Views, 6 Replies

Pasted new component fails to join to existing body

Hello,

Is there some particular reason when using "paste new" the object pasted does not join to an existing body?  Everything seems to do as expected up to the point were I try to use tools such as fillet or chamfer on a joined line and the tool tries to work only to the pasted object not at the juncture between the two objects.

Seems real strange to me.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: marjamar

Can you post a screenshot of what you are trying to  do, or a screencast? Are you pasting new a component and then trying to use the Join tool on a body within that component? 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 3 of 7
marjamar
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Here's a screenshot.  It's really a very simple thing, yet it seems to not be working for some reason.
Message 4 of 7
HughesTooling

Just using paste new will not joint 2 components, try using combine on the modify menu. Your screenshot doesn't show, did you respond using email, attachments don't come through in emails.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
marjamar
in reply to: HughesTooling

Sorry about that.  Yes, I have used combine but it makes no difference.  Never had this happen until now, but never did a paste new until now... hmmm, makes me wonder.  Here's a couple screen grabs.

Message 6 of 7
HughesTooling

Your second image is a bit confusing as you only have bodies visible not components. I think the problem you have is the bodies don't overlap, combine doesn't give an error when there's no overlap. You can use combine to create a new component from non overlapping bodies but in this case I think you should get a warning there's no overlap.

Capture4.PNG

Mark

Edit If you can export and upload your f3d model it will be easier to help.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
marjamar
in reply to: HughesTooling

It's a bug.  I sketched the same design 2 ways in the same drawing with the main design.  First design was done on the same plane as the main design.  Pulled to 3D and moved to be placed on the main design.  Made a copy of this and moved the copy to the proper position down from the original.  Select all 3 and did a combine and the top design allows proper chamfer/fillet the lower copy did not.

The second try I drew a rectangle in the wall of the original design, pulled it out and then designed on the top of that the same drawing as I did in the 1st sketch.  Did the same again for the other part.  Both of these became part to the original drawing, so they worked as expected.

Seems Fusion 360 is overly particular about how it accepts components in the join process by combining them.

Not a good thing, so I would perhaps suggest to someone responsible for bug fixes to take a look.

Thanks for the helps.

-Rodger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report