Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modelling hierarchy.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
kaddy99
894 Views, 2 Replies

Modelling hierarchy.

I would like to ask what is the best method of direct modelling hierarchy for , lets

say a staircase. For best practice.

Given that the components comprise, treads, risers, newel posts,

balustrades, handrails and strings.

Is it best practice to create one New project, and then model all the components in this project.

Or.

Create a new project for each component, and then insert each component into a project as they

are needed.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Tim

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jeff_strater
in reply to: kaddy99

Hi @kaddy99,

Yes, your question makes sense.  A lot of the answers are going to be personal preference, so the statements below are just my opinions.  Others will have different opinions.

First, let's get some terms straight, because I think I understand your question, but some of the terms used here have different meanings to Fusion.  Your mention of "project", for instance.  To Fusion, a "project" happens at the very top level of your data.  When you have the data panel open, and are at the highest level of your hub, each entry here is a "project":

projects.png

You most definitely do not want to put sub-parts of your design into a different project.  Today, in Fusion, you cannot reference designs from one project into another.  You want your entire design to be in one project.

The next level down: A project contains "folders" and "designs" or "models" (designs and models are the same thing).  A folder is just a way to organize models within a project.  A model is a stand-alone design - it's what you see in a tab in Fusion when you open the model.

designs.png

A "component" is a unit of design (could be a "part" could be an "assembly").  A model can contain just a single component (in which case it is like a part), or it can contain a whole hierarchy of components.  So, a component can be a "local" component (meaning it is defined in the design where it is used), or it is an "external" component (meaning it is stored in a separate model).

You can build an entire design all in one model.  For myself, I prefer to create designs this way.  There are fewer designs floating around, and you can make changes to components without opening them in a separate tab.  To me, the only reason to create an external component model is if you need to share it between designs, or if you want to have multiple people working on your project at the same time.  But, external components are an option, definitely.

Specific to your model of a staircase:  Since I suspect not a lot of the components in your design will be re-used in other designs, my inclination would be to create a single model with all local components.  As to the level of hierarchy, since I suspect that there are not a lot of reusable assemblies of components in a staircase design (but, admittedly, I have never designed or built a staircase...), I would just create a single level of hierarchy.  The root of your design would represent the entire staircase model, and you would have a tread component, a riser component, etc.  I don't see any reason to have more than that one level of hierarchy.

Finally, take a look at @TrippyLighting's famous "Rule #1" here:  fusion-360-r-u-l-e-1-and-2.  It will give you valuable tips on how to avoid some common mistakes when dealing with components (keep your sketches and work geometry inside a component, for instance).

Good luck!  

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 3
kaddy99
in reply to: jeff_strater

Brilliant.

Clears a lot of the fog. Thanks

My natural inclination would be to have a single level of hierarchy, with local components.

I just wanted to check that this is a suitable route to take. My first attempts were a project with some

components in it locally, and then other models in the same project folder folder, that were then inserted

in to the main project after.

led to some confusion for me as a noobie, but I managed to finish it, and learn in the process.

But your advice will reduce the head banging i,m sure.

I appreciate the advice.

Tim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report