Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing history marker goes to the next level!

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
macmanpb
1955 Views, 35 Replies

Missing history marker goes to the next level!

First, a big thank you for the last Update and the continued work on Fusion360.

I am curious about sheetmetal and can't wait to have it. Thanks dev team!!!

Ok, for the last 4 updates the disappearing history marker bug was not fixed! I understand that, some bugs have no high

priority and have to wait. --SheetMetal is in the pipe and other cool stuff! 😉 --

But this bug goes to the next level.

Previously, if you switched to fullscreen or hiding the data-panel the history marker disappears.

But If you then leave fullscreen or show the data-panel again the history marker comes back.

That was not a critical bug to me because it was easy to avoid him.

After the January 2017 update the bug has reached a new level.

You can go fullscreen and/or can hide the data-panel and the history marker disappears.

That's the normal odd behavior from previous Fusion360 versions.

But the history marker will never come back again if  you leave fullscreen or display the data-panel.

You have now to restart fusion to get it back.

I know it is hard to improve fusion and fixing a ton of bugs at the same time, but please fix this odd behavior.

cat.jpegcat.jpeg

I have a imac 27" but can't use the fullscreen or can't hide the data panel.

Look at the cat, can you resist these eyes 🙂

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
mroek
in reply to: macmanpb

I hadn't really noticed this bug before, but with the latest update it renders Fusion almost unuseable!

How on earth could this happen? Really, really disappointed now.

Open a design, history marker is there. Switching to a different component, and boom - gone. Closing the document and reopening brings the history marker back, but it quickly goes away as soon as I try to do any work.

Dragging features in the history doesn't work either.

Message 3 of 36
mroek
in reply to: mroek

Seems it doesn't happen if I start a new design, but that doesn't help, I need to work on one of my current designs with quite a few components and a long(ish) history. And there it just disappears.

Message 4 of 36
mroek

If I export the design in the f3d format, and then start a new design from this file, the issue is still there. Not sure if the new update made some automatic changes to existsing documents to cater for the new branching functionality, but if it did, perhaps this process somehow creates this issue. As mentioned, I have worked on this design for quite a long time, and this issue surfaced with the new update to Fusion. And I can no longer work with it in a meaningful way. I really need the history to be usable, and now it isn't!

This doesn't happen on all of my older documents, but for those it happens to, there are always more than one component. I haven't seen it on any documents that just have the default base component.

Message 5 of 36

Same problem here as soon as I edit a component within an assembly. 

Message 6 of 36
macmanpb

Oh, yes, that's new. Activating a component within an assembly it hides the history marker.

So, i think it pushes this bug from an uncritical to a critical one.

Message 7 of 36
mroek

Yes, for me it is critical, as I can't continue meaningful work on my current design project!

Message 8 of 36
mroek

Someone from Autodesk really needs to look into this ASAP.

If I just open the design that has the problem with the history marker, and then do nothing except trying to disable "capture design history", then F360 crashes totally.

I did submit the error report that popped up, so perhaps someone can deduce anything from that, but something is clearly corrupt in the document.

Message 9 of 36
brianrepp

Hey all - thanks for reporting, we're actively investigating and will report back soon.

Message 10 of 36
Phil.E
in reply to: brianrepp

I'm busy logging these. Please keep this thread to only problems related to exactly these workflows involving timeline. 

For the missing timeline marker after activating a component. This is being investigated for a hotfix. The workaround is not without difficulties, which are also being looked at for the hotfix, if one should occur.

Workaround for missing marker: RMB on the timeline and pick Roll History Maker Here.

Caution: Open windows will pop to the front. 

(Internal reference:

FUS-26303 - this is the legacy bug with lost timeline marker on larger monitors

FUS-30050 - Lost timeline after activate component

FUS-30051 - Windows pop to front after RMB Roll history marker)

I will also look into the crashing right now.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 36
Phil.E
in reply to: Phil.E

@mroek

I am not finding any CER reports at all using your email address. For all time. Are you using a different one for your Fusion modeling account than you are for your Forum account?

If you can repeat it, can you share the model? We can do this via email is you want to keep it private.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 36
mroek

@Phil.EWeird you didn't get the report. It should be the same email address that I am using at the forums. I just repeated the crash, and resubmitted. The error number is CER_142408029.

And yes, I can share the design privately with you if you want (as mentioned, exporting as f3d preserves the issues, so to speak), but I don't want to share it publicly. Send me a PM to let me know how you want to proceed.

The hotfix update doesn't seem to affect this problem, unfortunately.

Message 13 of 36
Phil.E

@mroek

Got the report. It is crashing in very low level code. I really need the model to figure this out.

Check your email. Rather than PM I sent an actual email.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 36
mroek

@Phil.EI've sent you the exported design privately, so you can see for yourself.

And as an added bonus, the suggested workaround for the history marker (RMB and Roll to here) doesn't work either. So this update effectively prevents me from working on this document, and that's really annoying, as I had planned to do quite a lot of work on it this weekend.

Message 15 of 36
mroek

It seems I can sometims avoid losing the history marker if I just try closing and reopening Fusion360. Sometimes I just get lucky, and the history marker survives activation of a component. If it does, then I can usually work for some time before it disappears again.

But no matter what, this update is a huge disappointment due to all the bugs, the new functionality that it provides is great.

Message 16 of 36
mroek

I've given up on the history marker, it disappears more or less at random it seems.

However, I've realized that the suggested workaround from @Phil.E isn't to actually get the marker back, it is rather that RMB and "roll history marker here" does in fact work, it's just that the history marker itself doesn't reappear. The inactive items will become a lighter shade, so it is possible to see where the marker is, even if the marker itself isn't visible.

Just mentioning this in case anyone else is just as dense as me...

Message 17 of 36
Phil.E

This is actually not a new bug. It was in production prior to October, 2016. Nobody noticed or reported it, but we have reproduced it in the older builds.

That being said, this is being investigated for a fix asap. It should be in an update soon. No ETA at this time.

Thanks for your patience.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 36
mroek

I get that, but as a relatively new user (I started using Fusion when Onshape announced that they didn't want hobbyists/makers/startups to have any privacy), I actually hadn't seen this issue prior to this newest release.

I hope for a quick fix, but since the suggested workaround is usable (after I understood what you meant), it isn't as critical any longer. But nevertheless annoying, of course.

The crash when trying to disable design history is probably more serious, but that was just an observation on my part, I don't really want to disable that.

Message 19 of 36
Phil.E

@mroek

No worries! I just wanted to be clear about the problem. Any bug like this should never make it out the door, the longevity of it is irrelevant to your experience today. This one is in our sights, thanks for your input on the forum here! 

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 36
Phil.E

@mroek

I got your file. The crash is reproducible. Now logged as bug.

(Internal reference: FUS-30111)

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report