Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

making slits in wing

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
simon.barbarasch
1284 Views, 20 Replies

making slits in wing

Ok, so I am designing a 3d printed piper cub and I am trying to make slits in my wing like in this video but I cant figure out how to do it. Is this possible in f360 or is there another easier approach I should be taking?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
etfrench
in reply to: simon.barbarasch
Message 3 of 21

No already did that but it's not quite right. Basically what I want to do is created cutouts in the middle of the wing that don't go outside but come close. I want the wing to be solid and the cutouts to be hollow because I am going to print it and I will make it hollow in my slicer
Message 4 of 21
etfrench

Try the shell command on the solid wing.  The video shows how to create the skin of the wing and also the internal model to use in cutting the cutouts.  You can use one or the other with either Combine|Cut or Combine|Intersect to accomplish what you want.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 21

I think this is what you are asking for,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loWlW4bZNDw  recommend you follow this guys progress with a few later vids,

Will make your head spin with the double negatives between the CAD and Slicer requirements, this guy is on the right track, he went on and flew a Zagi style prototype,

I would suggest buying a set of files from 3dlabprint.com, at $20 US last I looked, he has 6 or 7 models to choose from

a) to see how fine the structures need to be, (wing loadings etc are all provided)

b) learn how to set up the printer for a great result,

(Slicer files already set up - for your printer if required -

I am stuck here ...  my printer does not behave without failures, )

What size will the Cub be?

Message 6 of 21

Dude this is the video I already linked. I am trying to figure out how to cad those cuts. I fully understand the concept.
Message 7 of 21
etfrench

If you haven't figured it out yet, post the time in the video that shows the slits.  You may also want to post your model wing as that would make it easier to show the steps.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 8 of 21

Oops sorry, I watched the embedded screencast, and figured by mistake it was the same video you linked.

At 2.50 and 6 + min he is in the Cad system,

He figured to cut slots in a totally solid wing panel - so you follow his example by having two bodies, the skin, and the solid block under the skin.

Skin can be turned off until ready to join it to the intenal structures

Divide the (solid block) Inside body,  with extrusions in cut mode. In the second example he has added joined solid tubes through the whole lot.

Sorry about the early oversight...

Message 9 of 21

Ok thanks Ill try that and see if it works
Message 10 of 21
etfrench

I think it would be better to model the wing with the skin and the bracing solid.  Empty space should be empty space.  You will have more control over the dimensions in Fusion 360 than you will in the slicer. 

This video shows how I would approach the design.  ( My mouse is behaving erratically, so please ignore the jumping)

Depending on your slicer, you can either select the bracing and the skin and create a single stl file or you can combine them before creating the stl file.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 11 of 21
davebYYPCU
in reply to: etfrench

I see that you have a Fusion model of the 3D printed example from the YouTube video, did you successfully slice this model after it was prepared?

Thare are not many slicers that handle non manifold models.

The 3dlabprint files work due to the slicer settings where voids are solid and they get sliced and printed with zero infill, hence my early comment about double negative requirements.

I am away from Fusion over the weekend, will see how this one turns out,, following with interest. Will see what next week brings.

Message 12 of 21
etfrench
in reply to: davebYYPCU

I'd recommend getting a better slicer Smiley Tongue

One reason I chose .5mm widths is the minimum width my printer can extrude reliably.  If you use voids then the minimum width of the framing will be 1mm or double the weight.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 13 of 21

Yes I sliced it just fine with simplify 3d. No issues
Message 14 of 21
etfrench

I'd be interested in seeing your model of the wing.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 15 of 21

Ok I'll let u guys know when it's done. Haven't had much time to play around
Message 16 of 21

Ok update: so I made a first draft of my wing and I have included the f3d file below. its probably the most messy project you have ever see. I wasnt quite sure how to organize it so that is definitely a problem that will be solved with v2 🙂 luckily the wing itself doesnt look too horrible when I load it into my slicer and I have just started printing now. I ened up making a hollow wing shape, then I made a grid of thin ribs which I combined with the wing shape. I patched on the ends, then cut out some holes to reduce weight and for my carbon rod and wires to go through.

Message 17 of 21

Hi @simon.barbarasch,

I hope this screencast will help you. If you will follow my gudlines, you will have good results! This is the link for the Airfoil plotter - http://airfoiltools.com/plotter/index

I forgot to mention, DON'T use the DELETE command unless you know what you are doing! Instead use the REMOVE command!

Cheers / Ben
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Check out my YouTube channel: Fusion 360: NewbiesPlus

Ben Korez
Owner, TESREG.com & Fusion 360 NewbiesPlus
TESREG - Fusion 360 Hardware Benchmark
Facebook | YouTube

Message 18 of 21

@simon.barbarasch Have a look at this it might help a bit https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/Index?id=1569210467479959341&appLang=en&os=Win64

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 19 of 21
Beyondforce
in reply to: daniel_lyall

@daniel_lyall,

This app is not good. It's only for NACA 4-5!

Ben.

Ben Korez
Owner, TESREG.com & Fusion 360 NewbiesPlus
TESREG - Fusion 360 Hardware Benchmark
Facebook | YouTube

Message 20 of 21

hey thanks a ton for the video and the tips. yeah im sortof a nube with airfoils. the reasoning behind the one I had there was a symetrical one but with a slightly flatter bottom. I have been testing some designs in flow design too which is very useful. I do know I will need ribs, maybe not  as many as were in that design buy at least some. how would you put ribs into that wing? and how would you seal off the ends more cleanly? I have a 750mm by 10mm diameter carbon fiber rod that I am putting in my wing to give it stiffness. the wing as of now will be either 960 mm long or possibly 1200 but because of the length of the carbon rod available I am thinking on the shorter end. The plane will be modeled roughly after a piper cub but That could change if I find a design I like more. right now I am messing around with fuselages by lofting differently sized squares together, would you say that is a good approach or am I doing it inefficiently? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report