Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock Horizon in Fusion 360?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
tdurkin
2052 Views, 15 Replies

Lock Horizon in Fusion 360?

Hi All,

I was wondering if there was a "Lock Horizon" setting in Fusion 360 like there is in Sketchup?  I use this to quickly rotate around an object without the model leaning left or right.  I do have the "dominant" setting enabled in my 3D mouse prefs, but it always seems to end up leaning left or right when I'm just trying to rotate around the Z-axis.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
josef.kucera
in reply to: tdurkin

Hi @tdurkin

if you speak about locking view horizontally or vertically look at this video:

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Josef

Josef Kucera

Fusion QA
Message 3 of 16
tdurkin
in reply to: josef.kucera

Hi Josef,

Thanks this is actually exactly what I'm looking for, but it seems to only work with the orbit tool and the mouse, not a 3D navigation mouse like the 3DConnexion Space Mouse that so many people use in CAD work.  

It seems like this is also being discussed in this thread below, a couple other people have found the constrained orbit can't be applied to the space mouse.  Any ideas or suggestions?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/lock-horizon-horizontally-for-orbit/m-p/6909...

Thanks for the help!

Tom

Message 4 of 16
louis.lbnc

I'm also having issues with this. I've added it to IdeaStation if you want to go vote for it.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/constrained-orbit-with-3d-connexion-...

Message 5 of 16
Schmiffy
in reply to: louis.lbnc

This issue is a device killer for me. The SpaceMouse hardware is amazing, but the software implementation is a horror show. There are TWO problems with rotation for me.

1. The SpaceMouse driver ignores Constrained Orbit in the Fusion360 settings.

2. The SpaceMouse driver has a rotation transform bug. The bug can be exposed by turning OFF all axes except 'Dial Rotate' like turning the SpaceMouse like a volume knob. Then set the viewing angle using the ViewCube in Fusion360 to a shallow angle (not 45 degrees), and then using the spacemouse to rotate the camera around the Origin vertical axis. Yes the camera rotates about the vertical axis, BUT the camera also tilts left or right. (like tilting your head sideways). This bug in itself drives me nuts, making the user FIGHT to keep the camera upright all the time! Interestingly the orbit about vertical axis works perfectly if you click HOME VIEW then rotate. So the transform bug doesn't happen of the camera is looking down at the object exactly 45 degrees from horizontal.

These issues are so bad I actually return to Shift-MiddleMouse Drag in frustration.

The final insult is, 'LOCK HORIZON' is an option when using the 3DConnexion Demo software! Can you believe that?

Having just bought the SpaceMouse I am horrified this has not been fixed for several years, and am genuinely worried I've wasted my money.

Thanks for the VOTE page!

RotationProblem_000.jpg

Message 6 of 16
Intuos5
in reply to: Schmiffy

The lock horizon functionality is one of the many things lacking in the current 3dconnexion integration, hence this idea covers navigation settings, preset buttons, macros and more. 

Message 7 of 16
Schmiffy
in reply to: Intuos5

I voted for this as well thank you!

Do you know how I can add a comment to the VOTE page? For me it appears Read Only.

I will report the transform rotation bugs to 3DConnexion once I have narrowed things down further.

Message 8 of 16
Intuos5

@SchmiffyYou cannot comment anymore on ideastation, since its now read-only and replaced by the Feedback Hub. What I meant to address was that this lock horizon feature request is most likely part of a larger effort to further the 3dconnexion integration into Fusion 360. 3dconnexion is not responsible (or does not take responsibility) for this integration, which (apart from 3ds Max and very select few others programs) is up to Autodesk's developers to integrate this support.

Message 9 of 16
dankG2KYJ

@Schmiffy 

I'm not denying that it would be nice to have constrained orbit/lock horizon for 3Dconnexion, I'm just curious, can you screenshot your axis settings for Fusion?

I found that in Fusion I needed to reverse every axis to avoid navigation being a nightmare, if I don't have those reversed, it's almost unusable. Sure, there is a bit of tilting when orbiting (axis all reversed) but nothing in my opinion that can't be managed with a very slight tilt correction. Otherwise, it goes off the rails.  

Message 10 of 16
Schmiffy
in reply to: dankG2KYJ

Hi @dankG2KYJ thanks for replying.

I totally agree! All the axes are the reverse of what I find intuitive, but I admit it is a personal preference, and I have no problem as long as the axes are exposed in the 3DConnexion settings.

What I do have a problem with is entire features being removed from the settings when using Fusion 360.

I need to fly speedily around the object like when using the ViewCube drag, or Shift-MiddleMouse drag. I don't want to slowly ease around the object like trying to dock a heavy, wallowing spacecraft in 2001:A Space Odyssey. 😄

The transform rotation bug making me 'fight' the controls is a frustrating and needless handicap. I can get the controls perfect on the demo, but they are hobbled in Fusion 360 purely due to the two bugs mentioned. In my opinion Lock Horizon/Constrain Orbit is not an optional extra, it is vital for fast intuitive use of the SpaceMouse.

Also check this out...

SpaceMouseNotCertified_000.jpg

Message 11 of 16
dankG2KYJ

@Schmiffy  Very interesting on the supported software section, I've never looked at that before. 

As for "I don't want to slowly ease around the object like trying to dock a heavy, wallowing spacecraft in 2001:A Space Odyssey." I regularly use my SpaceMouse to dock spacecraft in Kerbal Space Program...maybe I'm well-practiced at translation/rotation 😂😂😂 

Message 12 of 16
Schmiffy
in reply to: dankG2KYJ

@dankG2KYJ  Now I have to buy this game, and it's all your fault.. 😄

Message 13 of 16
gjetsonMRHC8

AutoDesk's lack of support for Horizon lock is infuriating. It works with every other 3D modeling app and has for years. Blaming 3Dconnexion is ridiculous. Apparently AutoDesk doesn't care and doesn't intend to fix it. For this reason alone I will be canceling my rather expensive subscription as soon as I have completed the work for my Fusion360 based client.

Message 14 of 16
woit

For Mac users (and probably for Windows too).

I suggested that something is wrong not in drivers itself, but in how space mouse communocate with F360.
So solution for me was very simple - i just trying to play with setting and set navigation shortcuts to Inventor style and also removed camera pivoting.
I know that it looks isn't related, but it works for me very well.

Снимок экрана 2021-09-07 в 20.23.07.png

 (i guess disabling "camera pivot" is not neccesary)

Message 15 of 16
dominikkeller

Somehow it's really unbelievable that the SpaceMouse is not working correctly in Fusion 360.

Message 16 of 16
takitish

After many years the problem was solved! At least in my configuration. My old SpaceNavigator now works with horizon lock. To do this, in the settings in the preview features tab, you need to enable the SpaceMouse option. After restarting the program, it became possible to block the horizon!
How many years have we been waiting for this?space_mouse.jpgspace.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report