Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock Horizon Horizontally for Orbit

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
RobbGodshaw
1749 Views, 11 Replies

Lock Horizon Horizontally for Orbit

I request that there is a default behavior that locks the horizon to be horizontal at all times.

Yaw and Pitch are plenty to give full 360°x360° orientability of your model, roll is never ever desired in casual maneuvering.

I only very rarely use the roll 90° arrows around the cube when in an orthographic view. 

I like many others struggle to transition between the dozens of 3D products that I use, and horizontal horizons are a corner stone of most packages I have used.

Screenshot 2015-08-04 14.37.04.png

I hope one day the ISO makes a 3D manipulation standard and enforces it upon the world.  🙂

Robb Godshaw
www.robb.cc
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jodom4
in reply to: RobbGodshaw

Go to Preferences > General > Default Orbit type (sic) and select "Constrained Orbit". Ditto the ISO standard comment.

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 3 of 12
jjurban55

Hi Robb, yeah definitely have Constrained Orbit on, but also I've found if you orbit/rotate the view to be close to "horizontal," then release the middle mouse button and press and hold it again (while of course holding Shift for Windows, someting similar for Mac OS), that view orbiting will lock into a rotation about a vertical axis. 

Hope that helps a little.

Jesse

Message 4 of 12
keqingsong

Hey @RobbGodshaw , did the suggestions below answer your request? 

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 5 of 12
RobbGodshaw

@keqingsong, Hi Keqing, Nice to hear a resonse so quickly!

I'm afraid that having an option available to turn off arbitrary horizon orientation is only part of the solution. The other part would be making this option on by default, and making users opt-out of free-orbit.

For me, the improvemnt is the out-the-door intuivieness of the interface.

I am glad there is a constrained orbit option, this means the orbit tool is now usable for me.

It doesn't help the user who doesn't know about the somewhat hidden option and is frustrated while orbiting.

In my opinion, and in those of some of my peers who I've polled, the default should definately be constrained. 

Best,

Robb Godshaw
www.robb.cc
Message 6 of 12
keqingsong

@RobbGodshaw Understood. I think we had it on by default. I'll capture your feedback and communicate it to our team. 

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 7 of 12
keqingsong

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 8 of 12
h3lloroo

This works for mouse and keyboard but not for spacemouse.

Message 9 of 12
tdurkin
in reply to: h3lloroo

I think h3lloroo is right, that constrain orbit doesn't work for the 3Dconnexion space mouse.  Does anyone know if there are any work arounds for this?

Message 10 of 12
125482JNAL
in reply to: tdurkin

In autodesk products "autodesk fusion 360" and autodesk inventor ,the option "lock horizon" not work for the 3d connexion spacemouse.(there are with another name,but not work also right always)

This little detail makes  spacemouse  really useless,as it makes the spinning object a nightmare.

For this to programs the expierience of spacemouse it is not so great,in my opinion for this little detail.

I hope so many time for a next update,in autodesk programm or 3dconnexion driver ,i don't know.

Message 11 of 12
takitish

After many years the problem was solved! At least in my configuration. My old SpaceNavigator now works with horizon lock. To do this, in the settings in the preview features tab, you need to enable the SpaceMouse option. After restarting the program, it became possible to block the horizon!
How many years have we been waiting for this?

space_mouse.jpgspace.jpg

Message 12 of 12
125482JNAL
in reply to: takitish

Unfortunately now that the Autodesk fix the "lock horizon"on a fusio360, it's not installed on my system.

I delete the app,because on the Mac computer ,the app suddenly stop to run, and said me at the same time,

that I need to upgrade my mac operation system with a newer.(with this so fascist way...)

Of course ,because only I  choose if I want to upgrade my operating system, and for my reasons I did not want to.

Ι said bye bye fusion 360 on my computer....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report