Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joints and CAM

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
312 Views, 8 Replies

Joints and CAM

Hey All,

Thus far, Fusion360 is kinda awesome. I am about to fire up my little mill and make my 1st piece. I am having a little trouble though. There are three pieces to my project. I have modeled all three pieces in a single file. There are two sliding joints which attach to the main piece. My problem is, when it come to the CAM screen, I don't want the model assembled, I need it in all the millable pieces. Is there any way to change the component layout between Model and CAM?

Thanks!

Joe

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
vex
Collaborator
in reply to: Anonymous

Do a 'save as' and save it as the part you want to mill. Then remove/delete the extrenous parts in your project (IE the things you don't want to mill). Save. Convert to CAM.

Message 3 of 9
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

On the setup dialog in the CAM workspace under Model just select one off the bodies. Make 3 setups one for each part, while working in each setup just hide the bodies you're not working on. Have you made each part a component, it's easier to work in Fusion if you use components for each part.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
HughesTooling
in reply to: vex

@vex wrote:

Do a 'save as' and save it as the part you want to mill. Then remove/delete the extrenous parts in your project (IE the things you don't want to mill). Save. Convert to CAM.

Don't do this keep all the parts in one file. If you start making external files any modification will become a nightmare.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
vex
Collaborator
in reply to: HughesTooling

Haven't had a problem with it and I've done some pretty complex files. Is there a particular reason not to?
Message 6 of 9
HughesTooling

If it's all in one file and you make changes you only have that one file to deal with, it easy to modify one part and forget to update all the other files. It's so easy to keep it all in one file I can't see why you'd want to split it up. I've used one file for moulds where I've machined the top cavity, bottom cavity all the electrodes and all the turned parts. All the parts stay where they are in the assembly so if anything is changed you can see the effect on the other parts.

I suppose if the toolpaths are huge you might want to split it up to keep the file size down but that's about the only reason I can see.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
vex
Collaborator

That makes sense for small component or a single user project of moderate size. I find working with sub-assemblies and assemblies allow for multiple simultaneous modification by multitple individuals, and if arranged correctly, provides for easy drawings and documentation of assembly of the final piece.

I agree that component upgrade needs work for such a workflow. Something along the lines of a recurisive update to go to the various assembly levels and work down--but this issue has forced me to be smart in naming and organization of the models. But I think we've strayed from the original post's intention. Maybe a seperate thread concerning this topic and address by the Fusion team might be a good idea.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Hey All,

Thanks for all the quick responses. I have a small mill I run once or twice a year. Downloading Fusion 360 was the motivation I needed to dust it off. For me, one file is the way to go. Truth be told, this is the first assembly I have ever made, usually everything is separate parts.

Joe

Message 9 of 9
vex
Collaborator

@HughesTooling

Looks like the deep update will becoming active sometime next year: As is in-place editing.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/recursive-component-update/td-p/5914087#M382...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report