Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint issue, revolve

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
robpage
684 Views, 6 Replies

Joint issue, revolve

I'm a noob, having trouble making the "revolute" function work.  If you have a sec, I put a vid up here which demonstrates the problem far quicker than I could type it out.  Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
neljoshua
in reply to: robpage

@robpage,

Some suggestions:

1) You have not grounded any of your components.  It is a good idea to ground one so that Fusion knows which one to rotate when you drag the joint.

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 14.59.16.png

2) Fusion is a bit picky when selecting and dragging joints like this.  If you are having some problems, try orbiting to look more directly at the joint.

3) I am not a fan of the as-built joints.  I have noticed some...interesting behavior with them (for example, the joint marker moving, as you noticed).  I recommend using the standard joint rather than the as-built.  This, however, is a personal preference.

4) Fix the errors in the timeline.  Fusion really does not like to have these and they may be causing some of your issues.

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 14.59.47.png

__

If this post answered your question, please select "Mark as Solution" in order to help others who may have the same (or a similar) question.

Lenovo Thinkpad P1, 2.70 GHz Intel Xeon, 32.0 GB, Windows 10 Pro
Message 3 of 7
davebYYPCU
in reply to: neljoshua

Left mouse drag the component you want the joint to visualise, never tried to move a joint handle, thats a new one,

You can also right click the joint, in the browser, and click animate model, for that joint, set limits etc

I have not seen any joints jump from their origin,

Agree timeline errors are not good.

Message 4 of 7
robpage

Thanks guys.  I was finally able to get it to work using regular joints (not as-built) and by grounding both posts for the gears.  Turns out if you double click the rotation handle then you can rotate - though pretty sluggishly.  Don't know why the rotation in as-built was acting so weird.  I got this from this tutorial and did it exactly as he did multiple times.  Strange.  Even though I've found a workaround, I'd still like to figure out what the problem is.

Message 5 of 7
robpage

Sorry, as a noobie, I don't know what "errors in the timeline" are.  Lame, I know.

Message 6 of 7
neljoshua

@robpage,

No problem.

When you see things highlighted red or yellow in the timeline, it means there is a problem.

Yellow highlighting is a warning.  Often it means Fusion is using cached data to solve something.  For example, if you projected a line from a component to make a sketch and then deleted the component later Fusion would highlight the sketch in yellow.  In this case it is sometimes better to remove a component rather than delete it, as this will preserve the geometry for use with other entities (like sketches).

Red highlighting is an error.  This can be caused by things that cannot be computed (like a pipe that has too narrow of a radius) or a deleted feature.

If you right-click on the error/warning in the timeline you should be able to review the message.  Sometimes they are easy to fix, sometimes they are not.  Either way, however, warnings or errors can cause downstream issues.

__

If this post answered your question, please select "Mark as Solution" in order to help others who may have the same (or a similar) question.

Lenovo Thinkpad P1, 2.70 GHz Intel Xeon, 32.0 GB, Windows 10 Pro
Message 7 of 7
robpage

@neljoshua wrote:

@robpage,

No problem.

When you see things highlighted red or yellow in the timeline, it means there is a problem.

Yellow highlighting is a warning.  Often it means Fusion is using cached data to solve something.  For example, if you projected a line from a component to make a sketch and then deleted the component later Fusion would highlight the sketch in yellow.  In this case it is sometimes better to remove a component rather than delete it, as this will preserve the geometry for use with other entities (like sketches).

Red highlighting is an error.  This can be caused by things that cannot be computed (like a pipe that has too narrow of a radius) or a deleted feature.

If you right-click on the error/warning in the timeline you should be able to review the message.  Sometimes they are easy to fix, sometimes they are not.  Either way, however, warnings or errors can cause downstream issues.

Wow, so helpful.  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report