Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Material Appearance Library

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1242 Views, 6 Replies

Issue with Material Appearance Library

material problem.pngHello!

I am totally new to Fusion 360, when in render mode, many of materials in the library are "grey". When applied on parts of the model it becomes grey as showned in this picture. Why?

Thanks for any help,

Patrik

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
colin.smith
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm going to have someone from the rendering team take a look at this.

Does it happen to all files?

What type of computer are you running on with what type of graphics?

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 3 of 7
colin.smith
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous, have you updated your software lately?  The material library looks different from the current version.

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 11.17.49 AM.png

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 4 of 7
m_soriano
in reply to: colin.smith

I know is an old post but I have the same issue as the original post. Have read a few messages on this, many suggestions, from resetting prefs to default, unistalling and re-installing again, clearing cache and nothing works, can someone here tell me or guide me to the right answer before I call it quits on Fusion 360? Keep in mind that I just started learning it. Certainly there will be answers like "let me escalate to a higher level technician" or something to that effect, they all come back with the same suggestions every time, cache, reinstalling, resetting prefs, done it twice. Also, there no way to re-sync materials library to the cloud service for download.

As the product manager posted that image that shows a different library, of course is different, that is the appearance library, we're talking about the Materials Library, they are different, or am I wrong? Can someone help me before I ditch Fusion? I really like it but with just a few materials available, with 10% available only is very hard to render designs with with just Cherry, Walnut and mahogany. That's just the wood, the other libraries suffers form the same issue, I'm about to give up, please help me, appreciated.

Message 5 of 7
GrAndAG
in reply to: m_soriano

That's because there are not enough different wood appearances to represent all wood physical materials. Each physical material can have an appearance linked to it. So, when a material is assigned, the corresponding appearance is applied as well. But it's not exact mapping. For example, physical material "Porcelain" is linked to "Plastic - Matte (White)" appearance, because it "looks like a porcelain".

Therefore, we need to ask developers to extend list of wood appearances and link them to physical materials.

BTW. It's possible to add your own appearances, assign to them your textures and so on. So, you are not limited by Fusion's library.

Message 6 of 7
m_soriano
in reply to: GrAndAG

Thank you for responding, I assumed that the list for all materials disappeared, since  there are names with gray square, are those goning to show the materials in the future at all? I hope. Is there another library that can be used with Fusion? As in plugins?

Thank you again.

Message 7 of 7
m_soriano
in reply to: m_soriano

Forgot to mention that I'm working on a 15" MacBook Pro if that makes a difference, os 10.12.3 Sierra. Sorry if my previous posts were dumb but is due to ignorance about Fusion. In the short time I'm using Fusion 360, I had couple of moments of Oh Oh! and even when I'm using the software for free as a startup, I received a marvelous support and felt taken care of, as I said it a couple of times on this forums, I'm an Autodesk fan, also using Sketchboo Pro. Thinking on taking learning course fpr Fusion 360, any recommendations you can point me to?

Have a nice day!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report