Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing a 3d file

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
doug.ford
625 Views, 6 Replies

Importing a 3d file

I am trying to make a medallion with a relief face on one side. I figure I can scan the person's face with the iSense 3d scanner. Transfer the file to Fusion 360. Split the head behind the face in the X-Y plane. Then compress the face in the Z direction. Any thoughts on how I can get the scanned head into Fusion 360?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TrippyLighting
in reply to: doug.ford

You can import .stl files into Fusion 360   That's also the file format many scanners use. However there are few caveats.

I'd suggest you download Autodesk Meshmixer as there is a posibility you'll need it to deal with fusion's current limitations.

Peter Doering
Message 3 of 7
jakefowler

Hi @doug.ford,

Fusion doesn't yet have extensive tools for editing scanned mesh data. It's something we're working on (you can see an early preview here). Currently meshes can be moved and scaled, but are intended for use as reference geometry (see here for a potential way to use meshes by snapping T-Splines geometry to them; you could try something similar, but face structure might be a bit complex for this workflow). Mesh data can't be sliced or edited inside Fusion 360 at the moment.

Fusion does have a tool for converting mesh data to solid data - called Mesh to BRep - but this is really intended for use with simple meshes, and a face/head scan is likely to fall above the maximum threshold for conversion (10,000 triangles).

So as @TrippyLighting mentioned, Meshmixer might be a good choice for working with the scanned data; it's a free tool available for download here. Fusion is probably still better for modeling an accurate medallion shape, so perhaps a hybrid workflow between Fusion and Meshmixer will give the best result. Here's a quick video showing a possible way to do this:

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

1. Create the 'base' medallion in Fusion using the solid modeling tools
2. Export this as an STL (right-click top node in browser, Save as STL)
3. Switch to Meshmixer and Import the scanned head
4. Use Plane Cut to isolate the face (if there are any artefacts, you can select them and hit the X key to discard them)
5. Import the medallion STL from Fusion into the Meshmixer workspace (choose Append at the prompt)
6. Resize and move the medallion into position with the Transform tool
7. Select the face & medallion bodies, and select Combine to join them into a single object

This should give you something you can export, 3D Print, etc.

Might something like this work for you?

If you had any questions, or this isn't exactly what you had in mind, let us know with more details and we'll try to help out.

Thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 4 of 7
fishtruk
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi Jake. I'm having a "similar" problem. Problem is I don't get audio in your posted video. Could you post a link to it? Thanks,
Nelson
Message 5 of 7
jakefowler
in reply to: fishtruk

Hi Nelson,

Sorry - that video was recorded on-the-fly in the office, so I didn't record audio for it 🙂 I'll recreate it with audio + repost soon.

Thanks,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 6 of 7
fishtruk
in reply to: jakefowler

Thanks, I’ll check it out. Thought I was missing something.
Message 7 of 7
laurmo61

hi, i´m interesting to know if i can apply a scanned file to fusion360 and create a new object without using the ReMake? the above because i use a MacBook and i cant download the ReMake program

thanks 

Laura Moreno

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report