Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have many empty components ?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
lordarchiebald
1157 Views, 8 Replies

I have many empty components ?

Hi.

So I have been making an AT-AT walker and concentrating more on the modelling side of teaching my self and have got in to a bit of a pickle concerning bodies and components.

I have been making bodies and then combining them and then creating components from those bodies but noticed I had create new component on.

I now have component sub menus with nothing in but origin sub folders but if I delete them i lose other components ?

Im probably not using the correct terminology as I am still learning so apologies.

I guess my question is is there a good tutorial on how the origins/bodies/assemblies works and is there a way of deleting those components ?

Every time i try it says it is referenced else where and i lose things.

Many thanks

Glenn

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jeevesme
in reply to: lordarchiebald

There is nothing in Component 17:1. You can delete it if there is nothing in it and you did not use its origin for anything. Can you share the model? If you are losing something, its likely that you have something referencing it. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Forever yours,
Love,
Brian

PS. If this answered your question, please mark as answered so others do not read through the posts trying to figure out if it was answered.
Message 3 of 9

To eliminate the empty component you'd use "Remove", not "Delete".

This thread contains an excellent explanation of the difference between remove and delete.

It is questionable, however whether you even need to create a component. When you combine bodies that are in  different components, naturally there is a chance that one of the components is left empty and the resultant target body will remain in it's component.

Peter Doering
Message 4 of 9
jeevesme

Why wouldn't you just delete it? I delete empty components that I accidentally make. If there's nothing in them, and there's nothing tied to them, you can delete them without damaging anything.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Forever yours,
Love,
Brian

PS. If this answered your question, please mark as answered so others do not read through the posts trying to figure out if it was answered.
Message 5 of 9
TrippyLighting
in reply to: jeevesme

You should re-read my post 😉

Deleting an empty component that was created by accident and was empty to begin with is obviously not a problem.

Deleting one that became empty because the body that was in it was consumed in a "Modify->combine" operation will create a red error icon in the timeline.

Deleting a component removes all instances from the timeline.

Removing a component will only remove it starting from the point of the remove icon in the timeline. If you roll the timeline marker back to before the remove icon the component will re-appear.

Peter Doering
Message 6 of 9
jeevesme
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I clearly didn't read your entire post. #mybad #yeahyouright Smiley Embarassed

Love,
Brian

Message 7 of 9
TrippyLighting
in reply to: jeevesme

#noproblem

😉

Peter Doering
Message 8 of 9

Hey thanks for that !! 

Im now going through the model tidying it all up a bit :).

So can I just ask you something ?

In terms of Sketch - Bodies - components is this a good way of thinking of them ?

You sketch to to create your outlines.

You use your sketch / outlines to create your bodies Ie 3d geometry.

You work only in bodies until you are at a stage where your part would be made in the real world i.e. cnc'd  as a component.

You then convert your bodies to a component where you can then assemble them in fusion  as in the real world.

I think I got carried away making components when I was still in the bodies stage.

What do you think ?

Cheer's

Glenn

Message 9 of 9
jeevesme

I always follows @TrippyLighting's Rule #1. Create a new component and activate it.
If you create the component AFTER your done messing with the body, its history, sketches, construction planes, etc do not follow it. And that's when your timeline(s) get crazy.
Also, you have a main timeline, and a unique timeline for each component you create. None of the videos or tutorials I've seen tell you that.
Love,
Brian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report