Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to continue to edit a joined form in the sculpt mode?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
anna.magdalena.lukasek
1227 Views, 4 Replies

How to continue to edit a joined form in the sculpt mode?

Hi,

I am a beginner in fusion 360. I used to work in Rhino so far, but I am really fascinated with the tsplines technology and the sculpting tools.

I would like to create a head of a character (teddy bear), but after joining a head (quadball) with a ball (snout) I cannot edit the joined form any longer!? Why is this? (In rhino I was using the boolean union command quite a lot.)

Or do you have maybe any idea how to solve this problem? How to get a rounded snout out of a quadball? 

Any help or advice is appreaciated a lot! Thank you!

1_teddy.jpg2_teddy.jpg3_teddy.jpg

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Yes, this requires some explanation.

Each of the purple objects in your timeline is it's own Sculpt, or T-SPline environment.

When you double  click on one of the purple sculpt icons in the timeline you will be notified that you are entering the sculpt workspace ad then you can edit the T-Spline/Form in that sculpt environment.

When you click "Finish form" Fusion 360 automatically converts the from object into a body.

If it's a closed object as in your design it will be converted not a solid body, if it's not closed "watertight" it will be converted into a surface body.

When you use "Modify->Combine" you are actually combining two solid bodies, not to T-Spline forms. You can edit this solid body wth all the solid modeling tools available in Fusion 360, but the individual T-Splines will remain individual T-splines that also have to be edited individually.

You can achieve what you want by adding 2 quad balls, one for the snout and one for the head to the same form object.

Peter Doering
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

thank you so much for your answer! Now I understand that there is obviously a difference between a solid body and a t spline.

Unfortunately I do not understand how to add 2 squad balls together as t splines in the sculpting mode!? Is there any specific command for that? In the modify tool bar I cannot find any "add", "join" or "group"?

Cause I am still a bit desperate with the snout issue, I tried another approach by deleting some faces out of the big squad ball, trying to shape a nice circle and then extracting.

Is there any possibility to cut a perfect circle hole into a tspline? My goal is to get a "perfect" circle as a snout in order to crease the circle - now there are some ugly edges 😞 (please see the 4. picture)

snout_1.jpgsnout_2.jpgsnout_3.jpgsnout_6.jpg 

Message 4 of 5

Here is another approach/ I add 2 quad balls in the same sculpt/Form environment, but combine them afterwards and add the fillet.

This way you can still edit both quad balls in the same context but don't have to go through the hassle of combining the two quad balls in the Sculpt/Form environment.'

Peter Doering
Message 5 of 5

Thanks a lot for the video! Now I got it 😉 It works pretty well this way!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report