Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Sketch?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
superhugger
706 Views, 11 Replies

How Do I Sketch?

I'm trying to learn sketching, but I don't understand the workflow or the rules.

This Batman logo sketch isn't working out for me. I'm used to creating splines in 3ds Max, where I can create a vertice, and assign a control to it, such as bezier, corner, or smooth. How does it work in Fusion?

On the left, I tried creating points to modify later, but I couldn't figure modification out, if there is any. The right side I tried using splines, but the results were unexpected. I couldn't break the bezier ratio, and every point had an even radius curve either side. Eventually I had an error about constraints and it wouldn't let me modify or add any more.

sketch_screenshot.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

If you click on one of the nodes of your Spline you will find a Handle attached to the node.

You can drag the endpoint of the Handle to influence the curvature and weight of curvature at that node.

As a general rule - use as few points as possible (a nice curve can often be generated with 3 or only 2 (that's right, 2) nodes and tweaking of the Handles.

Handle.png

Message 3 of 12
Beyondforce
in reply to: superhugger

Hi @superhugger,

Maybe this will help:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=9zp_iTzpxz8

Cheers / Ben
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Check out my YouTube channel: Fusion 360: NewbiesPlus

Ben Korez
Owner, TESREG.com & Fusion 360 NewbiesPlus
TESREG - Fusion 360 Hardware Benchmark
Facebook | YouTube

Message 4 of 12
superhugger
in reply to: Beyondforce

@Beyondforce

I tried the YouTube link but it's broken. It ends up going to my uploads.

Aaron

Message 5 of 12

@TheCADWhisperer

Thanks for the working file.

I went in and started it over on the left. For symmetric designs, how do I mirror the sketch? I selected the splines within the oval, then mirrored it on the central edge, but going forward I can't define the bat shape for extrusion because the yellow gap to the right of the head ends up part of the silhouette, even though the upper wing edge carried over.

sketch_screenshot2.jpg

Message 6 of 12

Don't mirror in the sketch. Yes, you can do it but it is far better to mirror the solid. Fusion 360 and your nerves will be off much better 😉

Peter Doering
Message 7 of 12
Beyondforce

Sorry, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zp_iTzpxz8

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 8 of 12

@TrippyLighting @TheCADWhisperer

I probably did this out of order, or maybe should have implemented it during the sketch, but how would I bend this badge so that it follows the gut a little. It's a belt buckle for my nephew. I was just going to add rungs on it later and shouldn't be a problem.

sketch_screenshot2.jpg

Message 9 of 12
Beyondforce

Have you checked out the video that I sent you? It will save you a lot of time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zp_iTzpxz8

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 10 of 12
superhugger

@Beyondforce

Thanks. That's a good tutorial with the SVG. I'll look into that as I'm fairly confident with Photoshop paths, and even Illustrator vectors. I'd have to see if I can get an SVG out of them, otherwise I'll go for Inkscape. I just don't like adding a program for every 10 processes.

Message 11 of 12
Beyondforce

It's much easier than you think. Just save the image as Black/White and open it with InkScape.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 12 of 12
superhugger

sketch_screenshot4.jpgsketch_screenshot5.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report