Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I print out a sketch?

205 REPLIES 205
Message 1 of 206
lukepighetti
70483 Views, 205 Replies

How do I print out a sketch?

Hi all,

What's the best way to go about printing out a sketch on a regular inkjet printer to scale?

205 REPLIES 205
Message 21 of 206
promm
in reply to: CB1220F

Todd,

Can you go through the intended workflow for the drawings and multiple scale factors?

Thank you,

Mike Prom

Message 22 of 206
CB1220F
in reply to: promm

Pretty straight forward, make drawings from models that will plot on a 24" x 36" blueprint paper, with parts that may need to be scaled up or down to fit properly.

Todd

Message 23 of 206
spencerman

how do you output as a pdf? I see the option to output in dxf but not pdf.

@promm wrote:

The process for printing a drawing is to output as a pdf and then print from the pdf.  To make it to a 1:1 scale make sure the views you create on the drawing are 1:1 and then print to scale from the pdf.  A .dxf file is typically used for cutting 2D parts from sheets of materal.

Regards,

Mike Prom

Message 24 of 206
promm
in reply to: spencerman

spencerman,

When you are in a drawing the pdf output option is in the toolbar as seen circled below.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

PDF.png

Message 25 of 206
ilikef360
in reply to: innovatenate

Hello Nathan Chandler:

I just started to learn Fusion 360.

I looked at the Export dialog via File > Export

There is NO export to pdf in the Export dialog box, the only export file format available to me are:

Archives(.3d), IGES, SAT, SMT, and STEP.

What did i misssed?

Can someone send me a link to a printing to pdf or 2D-printer tutorial?

Message 26 of 206
Anonymous
in reply to: ilikef360

Hi @ilikef360

This thread you found is wayyyy old (and therefore outdated) - it's from quite a while ago!

When you create a drawing. you can export as PDF - you can not export a 3D model as PDF as far as I know, no.

If you mean "How do I create a drawing, and then export to PDF?" then you go to File - New Drawing > From Design

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 9.15.58 AM.png

Then, you add any information to the drawing page you need, and choose "Output PDF"

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 9.17.11 AM.png

Is this what you were asking for?

Hope this helps!Smiley Very Happy

Message 27 of 206
laughingcreek
in reply to: Anonymous

I think he means the sketch that geometry is based on.  As far as i know, htere still isn't a straight forward way to get the sketch out of the program.   Why can't we put a sketch on a drawing sheet?

Tags (1)
Message 28 of 206
promm
in reply to: laughingcreek

@laughingcreek,

You can create a .dxf directly from a sketch by selecting the sketch in the browser and right clicking and then selecting "save as dxf".  This workflow is used in manufacturing where users send a 1 to 1 2D outline of their model to be cut out.  Fusion is a 3D parametric CAD modeler that creates drawings of 3D models.  Can you give some more details about the workflow that you are trying to accomplish?

Thank you,

Mike Prom

Message 29 of 206
ilikef360
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you.!
Message 30 of 206
laughingcreek

I would want to be able to put a 2d sketch on a nice drawing anytime I would need to comunicate that information to someone.  For instance, in the case of sending a 1 to 1 dxf out for manufacturing, I would first need to present the idea to a client.

Message 31 of 206
khankins5

been a sketchup pro user for a long time.   Came to Fustion 360 for the cam connectivity and g-code generation.   I also love the ability to quickly create something.  However I spent a lot of time watching the videos, and thenk that I'm getting to basic level, and needed to do something and print a prototype template and no printing option....REALLY?   

Baisic guys basic!   

I've litterally went through every button menu and not one way.    

I think my experiment with fusion may be coming to an end.   

Message 32 of 206
TrippyLighting
in reply to: khankins5

You can create drawings and then export to a PDF that can then be printed.

Peter Doering
Message 33 of 206
CB1220F
in reply to: TrippyLighting

There have been lots of suggestions to export as a DXF or PDF and just print, but there has been no detailed info on the "just print" part.  

No matter where or how I export, and where I import, there is always an issue.  It could be scaling, missing parts, scrambled text, file incompatibly, colors, line type, or whatever.  Not to mention, it's a pain and error prone to  export, file, import, scale, crop, repair, etc...

We either print or plot a hard copy of EVERY job.  I can't believe printing and plotting is still missing from Fusion.  

TM

Message 34 of 206
PhilProcarioJr

Fusions drawings are still in an early phase of development and although I can understand your frustration I don't understand why you continue to use it if it doesn't meet your needs.

Sounds to me like you guys should be using Inventor not Fusion.

Just my 2 cents

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 35 of 206
CB1220F
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

@PhilProcarioJr wrote:

Fusions drawings are still in an early phase of development and although I can understand your frustration I don't understand why you continue to use it if it doesn't meet your needs.

Sounds to me like you guys should be using Inventor not Fusion.

Just my 2 cents

@PhilProcarioJr

It sounds like you don't print or plot any drawings or sketches, and that's fine.  Lots of shops still rely heavily on prints for shop fab, customer verification and archival.

Telling someone to quit using Fusion and go to a different software is not a solution. When Fusion was released, it was stated that there would be parity across Inventor and Fusion and HSM Works.

A good recommendation on a usable print/plot option would be helpful, a print/plot button would be even better.

TM

Message 36 of 206
CB1220F

Double post...

Message 37 of 206
PhilProcarioJr

@CB1220F

"

It sounds like you don't print or plot any drawings or sketches, and that's fine.  Lots of shops still rely heavily on prints for shop fab, customer verification and archival.

Telling someone to quit using Fusion and go to a different software is not a solution. When Fusion was released, it was stated that there would be parity across Inventor and Fusion and HSM Works."

I am an engineer at a forging company. I do drawings everyday. Case in point I use Solidworks for all my drawings for the exact reasons you and others have voiced here on the boards.

When Fusion first got off the ground and all the promises were made I stuck to the golden rule of business, if the tools don't do the job today I'm not basing my business on the hope that they will do it tomorrow. Your asking to fail and hoping that a company like Autodesk will deliver. Like I said I understand your frustration but it has been beat to death the things Fusion can not do and the Fusion team has learned their lesson over upset customers to no longer make promises they can not keep. They have said they are working on it...when will it happen...sadly when it's done and although that answer sucks it is a reality of software development. My advice was more solid then hoping the software your currently using will deliver before it cost you business. Another case in point of why you shouldn't be waiting around, Fusion is driven by customer requests and the ability to deliver the requests. If the request require a ton of framework to be coded and put into place the request will be later rather then sooner. Currently the sketch solver in Fusion is lacking and they have said repeatedly that they are working on making it better....You can't even pattern hundreds of holes in a sketch without slowdown...things need to be worked on before certain requested features can be implemented. Fusion is a very ambitious project with a 20 year goal in place. They aren't even half way into that 20 year goal, the software is still very early in development. If the majority of users want X feature and not your feature, you will have to wait. Now your upset they promised things that were not delivered from the early days...I get it and you have every right to be upset, but that wont make the features appear. So the reality is you need to make a choice, wait or move on to a product that covers your needs.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 38 of 206
CB1220F

@PhilProcarioJr

I do use a different software, and Fusion is not damaging my bottom line.  BUT, I would like to switch to Fusion once some of these basic CAD/CAM shortcomings are addressed.   

It does make sense to keep bringing these deficiencies to the light, otherwise they will be ignored even longer.

TM

Message 39 of 206
jorgie

It's very surprising that this thread is still dancing around the concept of printing a sketch.

It has taken me about 5 hours to get to this thread and finally get my head around what I can do to get a physical printout of a sketch into my hands.

There a a few suggestions about how to achieve a print out, but nothing really useful.

1. Create a Drawing

The work flow to get a "print out" apparently requires you to output in pdf using the OUTPUT tool.

However, there is no explanation that you first need to create a "Drawing". Then place a base view.

There is then even more confusion when you find that you have to create a "Body" to be able to visualise your sketch.

2. Export as DXF.

Except that the Export Menu does not have DXF as an option.

Then you find that an option under Browser to Save a sketch as DXF.

Then you have to open it in another package to print, only to find that the dimensions are missing.

Many years ago a Swedish company, DEC I think, thought it would be a good idea to go paperless.

It required 3 people to agree to get a hard copy of an item. The experiment failed.

The studies performed since then have shown the human brain needs physical things to touch and see.

My simple request to everybody is please focus on the Users needs and their questions.

In other words answer the question with a complete answer or don't answer at all.

The answer to "How do I print out a sketch?" 

Is NOT "Output as PDF using the OUTPUT tool"

It is the set of steps required to produce a drawing and then output the PDF from the OUTPUT tool drawing.

Or better yet create the feature that allows the user to print the sketch.

Message 40 of 206
TrippyLighting
in reply to: jorgie

As has been said, if Fusion 360 does not meet your needs, please use other available software such as Inventor.
If you felt you needed to make your voice heard then there are more respectful and constructive ways to do that.

If there is no idea in the Idea Station for this, then you can create one and accumulate votes. 

I am wondering how you can imply that the Fusion 360 team does not listen to it's customers.

I spend a lot of time here on this Forum and that would not be my impression. Quite the opposite actually.

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report