Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Model Toolbox and using symmetry

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
worldatlas
865 Views, 6 Replies

Help with Model Toolbox and using symmetry

I've just got Fusion and was following a youtube tutorial by Aaron Magnin. He demonstrates how to create a model which requires two holes in it. He produced the first hole, then brought up the Model Toolbox to use symmetry to mirror the hole to the other side.

When I tried to do this myself I was unable to access the symmetry function - it simply wasn't there - the only two options available were Extrude and Fillet - none of the other icons for the several functions he was able to chose were in my Model Toolbox. He did say that the Toolbox is context sensitive, which I understood as that you need to be using the Model interface and not the Patch, Render, Animation, etc, areas. I've tried exploring the interface myself, but can't work out where I've gone wrong..?

I must be missing a simple step here, so if anyone would be kind enough to explain what I've done wrong I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
etfrench
in reply to: worldatlas

The command you're looking for is Create|Mirror.  You will need to create a mid plane in order to use this command on bodies or components.  In the Edit Sketch mode, then the mirror operation requires a line object for the mirror base line.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
eellenburg

You just need to add the command to your toolbox. It can be customized with your most frequently used commands.

After bringing up the toolbox start typing mirror in the search box. Move your cursor over the command and click the arrow to the right. This will add the icon to the toolbox.
Message 4 of 7
Aadithya01

HEy @worldatlas

http://autode.sk/2l5DJT8

Just see the above video and please click "accept as solution" of you got the solution

Message 5 of 7
worldatlas
in reply to: etfrench

Thank you so much for getting back to me.  I did eventually manage to work some of this out but wasn't exactly sure about what I'd done or how I did it. I've also worked out that you can pin the icon for this function to the Model Toolbox which is very useful.

I'm coming from a background of high poly modelling in 3dsMax and Zbrush - so this is a steep learning curve for me.... Quite a few years ago I did some patch modelling with Maya and Max, but gave up eventually because of all the complex operations that you had to perform to create even the simplest form.  This program has therefore blown me away, the possibilities are amazing and I'm going to try very hard to get up to speed knowing that the program can export your models as obj or fbx polygon meshes.

So thanks once again for taking the time to answer my question.

Message 6 of 7
worldatlas
in reply to: eellenburg

Thanks for getting back to me about this.

I'm coming from a background of high poly modelling in 3dsMax and Zbrush so this is a steep learning curve for me. I did some NURBs modelling in Maya and Max quite a few years ago so I understand some of the concepts involved but it will still take me some time to get to grips with how to use this software. 

Anyway, thank you once again for taking the time to answer my question!

Message 7 of 7
worldatlas
in reply to: Aadithya01

Good to know how to add commonly used features into the Model Toolbox.

Thanks for the info, everyone on this forum has been very helpful!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report