Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help? Centering an SVG on a box and then neg extruding?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
sanguish
1481 Views, 1 Reply

Help? Centering an SVG on a box and then neg extruding?

(To clarify... the first time I wrote this I used box to describe both the box I'm making, and the box primitive I use. Confusing.  So now CRATE refers to the item I'm making, and BOX to the box primitive)

So, I have a crate that I need to center and SVG on and then do a negative extrude, cutting it from the crate top

Here is a pic of the printed box, without a logo

The logo needs to be edged into the crate under the 'ribs'. The necessary ribs are extruded away in the final step.

IMG_0365.png

I have a horrible hack (I tried twice to record it, fusion crashed both times. I tried recording it with Screenflow, and while it worked flawlessly, I've followed the script I've written dozens of times and screw it up every single time I tried. So text is is.

- I important the SVG onto the top of the flat portion of the crate

- Before clicking OK I resize and ensure it's the proper size for the crate (it has to fit between the two end ribs with a 3mm gap at each size)

- once its the right size, I slide it off the crate to sketch with, I just find it easy

This is where it gets super hacky ... and I keep the logo step to last because building the crate on it's own is a useful exercise since I make some purposeful mistakes and show how to correct them in the timeline.

- I draw a two point rectangle around the logo

- I make the rectangle sides collinear or coincident to the logo edges (depending on the side)

- that makes the rectangle the exact size of the logo

- Convert that rectangle to construction points

- offset it by -2.5 mm 

- draw a box primitive on the sketch plane the size of the offset logo rectangle, and make it -2mm deep. This is the thickness of the crate

- I extrude the logo 1mm into the surface off the box primitive, cutting it into it.

- I flip the world over and then use the align took to align the center of the box (which has the logo centered on it)

to the center of the inside of the crate lid... yes, I'm effectively embedding the logo box into the crate lid

- Go back to the top view and start a sketch on the top layer of the crate and draw a 2pt rectangle that snaps to the inserted logo box

- stop sketch

- hide the logo box (and the bottom of the crate)

- extrude this rectangle in two directions, up to the top of the ribs to remove the necessary ones(you see them in the picture) and down all (just to cut through the crate

- turn the logo back on

- combine the logo and crate top

It works, but there MUST be an easier way.  It's for a video and I don't want to suggest the wrong way of doing it.

Help?

--------

Just for giggles I started a new drawing, drew a box primitive and then did the steps to find create a box around the logo again. and then finding the center of the logo with a point (I have a screen cast).  I clicked on the center of the box primitive  and then the center of the logo and they snapped together, the box moved and to was centered. Now on the tp of my crate I have a rib in the way, but I could extrude a small section out of the way before moving if it would make this easier.  I still feel there is an easier way

n

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
devanshcshah
in reply to: sanguish

I would approach this problem by:

1. Starting a new sketch on the face of the crate (below the ribs)

2. Convert Entities the edges of your crate so you can use them in the current sketch. 

3. Finding the center of that box by drawing construction lines from each corner to the opposite corner.

4. When you are placing your svg onto this drawing, you should be able to constrain it to the intersecting point of those construction lines.

Does this work?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report