Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion360 poor performance

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
friesendrywall
1460 Views, 28 Replies

Fusion360 poor performance

Has anyone else noticed a slowdown F360 as of the last month or two?  I find may delays, changing between tabs, opening different things, etc, its hard to pin down but it just seems unresponsive lots of places.  I have an xeon E3-1241 with 16gb ram on win7 64, so I don't really thinks its a processor or ram issue.

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

@friesendrywall

What kind of videocard do you have?

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 3 of 29

NVIDIA Quadro K600.

Message 4 of 29

These quatro cards not a good match for Fusion 360. 

The Nvidia Quadro and AMD Fire GL graphics reads are optimized for Open GL performance. This is mostly a software driver "thing" the hardware is the same as gaming cards, but usually a generation or two behind. There is an added price tag for the "certified" software drivers.

Peter Doering
Message 5 of 29

@friesendrywall

The K600 card has terrible performance running Fusion 360.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 6 of 29

Poor performance how? I don't see this being a graphics issue, see screen cast on this https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/computer-aided-machining-cam/workflow-improvement/m-p/6888164
Message 7 of 29

Can a k600 be worse than a built in video card?

Has fusion changed the platform to directX lately?
Message 8 of 29

@friesendrywall wrote:

Has fusion changed the platform to directX lately?

No, Fusion 360 has always worked with Direct X on the Windows platform.

On macOS it is still Open GL. 

Peter Doering
Message 9 of 29

Diptrace pcb editor allows video choice between open gl and direct x if I recall correctly.

When I first started using fusion this didn't seem as bad.
Message 10 of 29

Not all company's keep there dxf or openGL drivers up to date on there graphics cards, Quite often a program you use has drivers newer than the the graphics cards, this can be part of the problem as well.

I use two programs with this problem they are up to date with what there graphics cards use (the developers) If you have the same type all is good if you have a different brand It's not good it can be a 50 to 75 % differences of GPU use. And all it is, is the drivers.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 11 of 29
O.Tan
in reply to: friesendrywall

Fusion uses DirectX for Windows and if I'm not mistaken, even Inventor and 3DSMax as they share the same GPU kernel/engine. So if you own AD products and use it strictly for CAD, it might be better worth investing in regular game GPU over workstation GPUs, since the software will run better on game GPU (workstation GPU is optimised for OpenGL).

For MacOS, there isn't DirectX so Fusion uses OpenGL. 

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 12 of 29
friesendrywall
in reply to: O.Tan

I am pretty sure I have narrowed this down, and its not graphics.

First I updated my drivers, which where 3 years or so out of date, which helped slightly.

Next I selected Work Offline, which took most noticeable lag.

So, is this really by design, that something like switching tabs to a medium complexity project would take 5 seconds if you have a 5meg internet connection?

Message 13 of 29

You can have a super fast net connection (A Fiber connection) and fusion can be slow, a slow broadband connection and fusion can be fast.

This is A problem I have workshop net is fiber and fusion is slow at home a broadband connection and it's fast.

This is something they are trying to fix the forum can have the same problem.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 14 of 29

But switching between tabs?  What should that have to do with an internet connection!?

Message 15 of 29

I would not have a clue why but it's the reasion I am replying now, If fusion is slow so is the forum at the same time for me.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 16 of 29

Yes, the forum is abysmally slow.
Message 17 of 29

@friesendrywall wrote:

Has anyone else noticed a slowdown F360 as of the last month or two?  I find may delays, changing between tabs, opening different things, etc, its hard to pin down but it just seems unresponsive lots of places.  I have an xeon E3-1241 with 16gb ram on win7 64, so I don't really thinks its a processor or ram issue.

Yes. Running Macs as spec'd below. Fusion 360 has gotten buggier and slower over the last few months. It's frightening.

founder @ BRCHN Design House
Message 18 of 29

I tried here, but didn't get very far, guess it may be faster for others, not sure.  It is usually slower when there is a bug I want to report.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/speed-up-the-forums/idi-p/6657456

When I sit down to quick work with CAM and some bug or non working feature takes me a couple hours of fighting is when I wonder where fusion is going, and if Inventor would be better, although $300 mo is a bit more than I want to spend.  I don't know if anyone from the F360 code team reads this, but if they are, I wish they would take a look at their team and code source versioning structure, I think something is lacking when there are continual new bugs in stuff that was previously working correctly.  I think this is going to be one of the main reasons why more large shops aren't going to go the fusion route, especially in the cam side.

Message 19 of 29

@friesendrywall one thing to try It's what I do at the workshop take the computer offline start fusion and open all the files you will need, put the computer back on line make a cuppa, it should be good to go by the time you get back with ya cuppa.

They are trying to get the forum sorted but it's a massive thing so it will take time

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 20 of 29
dstevenslv
in reply to: friesendrywall

@friesendrywall wrote:

I tried here, but didn't get very far, guess it may be faster for others, not sure.  It is usually slower when there is a bug I want to report.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/speed-up-the-forums/idi-p/6657456

When I sit down to quick work with CAM and some bug or non working feature takes me a couple hours of fighting is when I wonder where fusion is going, and if Inventor would be better, although $300 mo is a bit more than I want to spend.  I don't know if anyone from the F360 code team reads this, but if they are, I wish they would take a look at their team and code source versioning structure, I think something is lacking when there are continual new bugs in stuff that was previously working correctly.  I think this is going to be one of the main reasons why more large shops aren't going to go the fusion route, especially in the cam side.

ADSK reads here though mostly product dev and what appears to be engineering management.  They'll hear you.  An issue for me with F360 is the release cycle and inability to opt out.  That's going to be a deal breaker for many, if not most big shops.  Imagine if ADSK were using a dev tool that operated like F360.  They wouldn't have direct control of the source environment and let's say the IDE/compilers changed and they weren't allowed to opt out or roll back to a previous version.  There is no way ADSK would allow that for a tool that is mission critical.  Same with a big shop or manufacturer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report