Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion project to test just what it can handle

52 REPLIES 52
Message 1 of 53
PhilProcarioJr
2573 Views, 52 Replies

Fusion project to test just what it can handle

A lot of you know I push Fusion to it's limits daily...and when I find those limits I find ways around them and then pass that information on to others so they can work past their problems also.

This is a project I am currently working on to test the limits of Fusion in regards to assemblies and model complexity. 

I figured it would show what's possible and what's not....I'm not even sure Fusion can handle the final model but I will keep posting all the way up to the point it can't.

Currently there are 6213 bodies in the scene all done in direct modeling mode and only using Fusion and no other software.

I used every tool in Fusion on this design from the model, patch and sculpt environment.

This is a T1 Train from the 1940's that's being converted into a Mag Lev Train....why because I love the old school mechanical designs...and I love what the future holds in store for us, so here we go...

T1 Train RevA v20.pngT1_Train_2.pngT1_Train_3.pngT1_Train_4.pngT1_Train_5.png

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Tags (1)
52 REPLIES 52
Message 2 of 53

My goodness, I feel like such an ignorant fool. I don't even push the software to .00001% of what you do, rather focusing on CAM mainly and Model only as needed. That looks really awesome. How much time do you reckon you've got tied up into this?

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 53

Insane

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author
projektowanieproduktow.wordpress.com

Message 4 of 53
mroek
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

Holy cow, that is really cool!

Your comment reminds me of a question I have, and that's about the direct modeling mode. I've never really understood when and why I would use that, so I've always just used the full parametric modeling. In this model of yours, I guess it would be very slow if you didn't use the direct modeling, but what are the real benefits for smaller projects?

I have watched a couple of videos about direct modeling, but I am still uncertain when to actually use it. And that includes base features, which as I understand it, are like direct modeling containers in a otherwise full parametric model.

So, are there any good rules of thumb here?

Message 5 of 53
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: mroek

@LibertyMachine

"How much time do you reckon you've got tied up into this?"

I would say about roughly 60 hours not including render test times.

@mroek

"In this model of yours, I guess it would be very slow if you didn't use the direct modeling"

This model would be impossible with the timeline enabled. Fusion dev team would need to do massive optimizations to the app to allow projects of this size to be done with a timeline.

"but what are the real benefits for smaller projects?"

This is an opinionated question and answer.....As far as I am concerned DM allows me the freedom to explore many different design options very quickly without the worry of breaking anything. This model was constantly evolving as it was being built. Although it is a massive project, broken down it's nothing more then a lot of small projects that fit together like a puzzle.

Timeline has a very specific purpose. One example would be designing things like bookshelves where the size varies or the amount of shelves varies, or you want to use parameters, etc...Using parametrics for design REUSE I guess is the key word here. If you plan to have many variations of one design then timeline is definitely the way to go. If your design is going to be handed off to another person who may need to make changes to your design then timeline is the way to go. These are but a few examples... To be honest there were a few parts laid out separately with timeline, then dragged into the main assembly the links broken history killed and further refinement took place. The reason they were started was because there were some complex sketch driven forms I wasn't sure about because I designed this on the fly without any preprep conceptual work. The only thing I had was a single sheet blueprint of the 1940's train and an idea in my head. At work I always use the timeline because our customers would be at a loss to figure out how to make changes that they might want to make in DM mode. For my personal work I use both but really it depends on my end goals for the design. I ask myself simple questions and based on those answers I choose which way I am going to work. Another factor that comes into play is, what is lacking in Fusion, what things cause trouble in Fusion, what things does Fusion not like with the timeline enabled...so on. I like to get work done and not fight the software I am using, so I avoid all actions I know that cause problems for me and stop me from getting work done. If you have any other questions just ask and I will try to answer them. Hopefully this helped some.

Cheers

Phil

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 6 of 53
mroek

@PhilProcarioJr

Thanks for the elaborate answer. It does clarify a bit, but the main point seems to be that one just needs experience to know when it would be appropriate (or even necessary) to go with or without the timeline.

Message 7 of 53
PhilProcarioJr

@mroek

Actually it's much simpler then that.

Ask yourself: (This doesn't cover all cases but it does most)

Are you going to use parameters?

Are others going to need to make changes to your design?

Do you want your design driven by and linked to sketches?

Have you thought out your design prior to actually making it in 3d?

Are you going to be returning to this design much later down the road to make changes?

If you answer yes to any of this things then use the timeline.

If you say no to all of these and prefer to work with say a Maya, Zbrush, Blender etc workflow then use DM.

If you answer a bunch yes and a bunch no maybe look into a hybrid approach using both.

Personally I always use a hybrid approach with both tools and timeline/DM.

IMHO anyone that doesn't utilize a hybrid approach to both tools and timeline/DM are set in the old school ways and will never reach their full potential as a designer/engineer....

These are the people that refuse to think outside the box.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 8 of 53
mroek

@PhilProcarioJr

Now, that was a lot more clarifying, thanks again! I mainly want to drive my design by sketches, so for me the hybrid approach is probably best suited if I need the capabilities that I can only get from DM.

Message 9 of 53
PhilProcarioJr

LightCap1.pngLightCap2.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 10 of 53
chriswarm

Wow, 60 hours for that! That's blazing fast. Watching you 3d model would be like a spectator sport. Seriously though, if you live streamed that, I'd tune in.

Swarm Design Studio
http://www.swarmeffect.com
Message 11 of 53
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: chriswarm

@chriswarm

"Seriously though, if you live streamed that, I'd tune in."

If I thought enough people would watch I would consider doing it, but it wouldn't be at my normal pace as I'm sure people would have questions....lol

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 12 of 53

LightCap3.pngLightCap4.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 13 of 53

LightCap5.pngLightCap6.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 14 of 53
chris

Wow.

That is impressive. 

Nicely done

Message 15 of 53
jeevesme

This is so awesome.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Forever yours,
Love,
Brian

PS. If this answered your question, please mark as answered so others do not read through the posts trying to figure out if it was answered.
Message 16 of 53
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: jeevesme

HeadLight1.pngHeadLight2.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 17 of 53

HeadLight5.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 18 of 53

HeadLight6.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 19 of 53

headlight8.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 20 of 53

Ok I think I am going to call the LED light ring finished for now.

HeadLight9.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report