Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 Ultimate Animation and Joints

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
Lexikitty
6276 Views, 35 Replies

Fusion 360 Ultimate Animation and Joints

Hi there, 

Just updated to F360 Ultimate, super excited to play with all the new toys. I cobbled something together yesterday so that it'd be ready to animate today - however, I seem to be doing something wrong during the animation process. I can transform parts just fine, but they aren't constrained by the joints that bind them. If I go back to the Model workspace, everything works fine. And Motion Study won't stay open when I switch to the Animation view.  Below are two shots of how the transition should look - the arm bracket gradually opens via the slotted beam in the center. 

Forearm Closed.png

Forearm Open.png

Unrelated, is there a way to render steps in an animation out to individual frames/a movie file? Just curious. The Animation feature looks really nifty, though, and I can't wait to play with it more (and the CAM workspace, too)!

Cheers, 

~LK

Tags (1)
35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: dphanks

@dphanks, thanks for checking back in with us on this. Bringing over joints into the Animation workspace is still on our roadmap, but in all transparency, it likely won't be released until next year sometime... I don't have a more specific date for you yet. The teams have some other large projects that we're finishing up first and then we will be able to focus back on Animations. Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

Message 22 of 36

Why  the heck is this thread marked as solved when the capability still doesn't exist 2 years later?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1229995573786339/
Message 23 of 36

@yoshimitsuspeed wrote:

Why  the heck is this thread marked as solved when the capability still doesn't exist 2 years later?

Because it solved the Original Posters question the only one we count with accepted solutions.

The Accepted solution can be debatable at times your idea of a solution is the new feature the op's was not.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 24 of 36

@Discussion_Admin wrote:

@yoshimitsuspeed wrote:

Because it solved the Original Posters question the only one we count with accepted solutions.

The Accepted solution can be debatable at times your idea of a solution is the new feature the op's was not.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

So the OP marked that as a solution?
This doesn't sound like the response of someone who had their issue resolved.

@Lexikitty wrote:

Aw, sad. The exploded views are nice though, and work quite well. Thanks for the super-fast response, and I can't wait for the updates in 2015 to allow this! It would even be helpful to just allow Mition Study to run in all applicable workspaces (Model, Animation, and Render); then you could render out 5 or so frames to show the general movement of things like multi-axis joints. 

Thanks again, and keep up the awesome work, 

~LK

In my experience it usually seems like it's AD that marks threads like this as resolved but maybe I'm mistaken.
Whatever the case when you search it and find this thread with the resolved icon it raises your hopes that the topic of this thread has been resolved when it has not.

Message 25 of 36

Thanks for the input Yoshi

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 26 of 36

In your main Intro "What is Fusion 360" video you are showing an animation of a linkage mechanism (@ 0:46). How was that generated? Is that not something that's possible right now in F360? 

Message 27 of 36

Hi @TimeraAutodesk,

I'm also interested in the possibility of having joints apply in the animation workspace - do you have any update on a timescale for this?

Best regards,

Lindsay Wilson

Message 28 of 36
sebutio
in reply to: Lexikitty

I'd really like to know if there are any developments in regards to animating joints too!!!!! as I've just told a client I could animate his product for promotional purposes, naturally assuming it would be so and being none the wiser.

Everything else I've discovered in F360 has filled me with confidence in its capabilities. I can't believe this isn't an integral feature?¿?¿

Waisted a fair amount of time putting the model together and now I have to go back on my word to my client, none of which does any service to my bank balance or reputation. Grrr

Any news?

Message 29 of 36
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: sebutio

Hey all - 

I understand and appreciate your concerns. We would like to get to this project, but unfortunately we have other higher priority projects for Fusion 360 that the teams are focusing on like data management, better sketching and modeling tools, simulation and drawings. We hope to be able to fund this project later this year if possible, so keep a lookout on the blog for our roadmap posts to see when this gets kicked off. We really appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best,

Timera

Message 30 of 36
yoshimitsuspeed

@sebutio wrote:

I'd really like to know if there are any developments in regards to animating joints too!!!!! as I've just told a client I could animate his product for promotional purposes, naturally assuming it would be so and being none the wiser.

Everything else I've discovered in F360 has filled me with confidence in its capabilities. I can't believe this isn't an integral feature?¿?¿

Waisted a fair amount of time putting the model together and now I have to go back on my word to my client, none of which does any service to my bank balance or reputation. Grrr

Any news?

Don't worry they are working on it. Just give it another 10 years like everything else they are "working on"

Message 31 of 36
O.Tan

Hmm..is it not possible to use the animation workspace to manually "simulate" the joints? It'll take longer and you'll have to get used to how the animation workspace works but it's doable. 

And seriously, is there that many demand for better Simulation? Isn't the one in Fusion already good enough to an extent? Saying it cause it seems they're many other areas that has been left behind in favour of simulation. 

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 32 of 36
yoshimitsuspeed
in reply to: O.Tan

It depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to simulate a shower door sliding open and closed in a linear fashion then sure. If you want to show a motor spinning or something with a non linear path of travel or something then I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Message 33 of 36
O.Tan
in reply to: yoshimitsuspeed

Well yea, but even the current joints is limited to linear travel and straight path. So unless non-linear rate is involved, you should be able to manually animate the motion in animation workspace.

For joints, I'm still waiting for non-linear, and chain joints. 

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 34 of 36
cazwaskowicz
in reply to: Lexikitty

Wow, like others on this thread I cannot believe animate disregards your joints! It should be called "Explode"---not animate. I spent a lot of time setting up my model to export a video of the motion. I assumed Animate was for visualizing an assembly in motion....Have to say I love the Fusion 360 product, but the ball was really dropped on this one.

Message 35 of 36

Hi all, I am trying to create an assembly video in the Animation workspace but I can't figure out how to align holes in two different components.  Is there not a "Point to Point" tool under the "Move" command? Similar to the one that's available in the Model workspace.

Thanks, Matt

Message 36 of 36

Hi Timera, I am trying to create an assembly video in the Animation workspace but I can't figure out how to align holes in two different components.  Is there not a "Point to Point" tool under the "Move" command? Similar to the one that's available in the Model workspace.  Or can you suggest an alternative workflow?

Thanks, Matt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report