Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For everyone that wants a wrap function in Fusion....

116 REPLIES 116
Message 1 of 117
PhilProcarioJr
20159 Views, 116 Replies

For everyone that wants a wrap function in Fusion....

Been working on easy ways to do this....more to come later....

Here is a sample model with results. I could have done any pattern or design just chose this because it has been asked for so many times.

This took about 2 or 3 min to do.

Untitled.pngUntitled3.pngUntitled2.png

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

116 REPLIES 116
Message 41 of 117

@HughesTooling

Very nice Mark!

I have a good one coming in a few min.....2d illusion art related........

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 42 of 117
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: Aadithya01

@Aadithya01

There is not much to teach about the sheet metal tools at this point, you have flange, flatten and unflatten.....

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 43 of 117

Ok here is a situation I figured would completely choke the flatten code....surprise I was wrong...

Although the surface stretch is wrong I love the resulting look...now to figure out how to make it.....

Untitled1.pngUntitled2.pngUntitled3.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 44 of 117

@daniel_lyall

This one is for you.....Smiley Happy

This is what this thread is all about....took about 5 min to model this.....

Sheet Metal Impossible Test2 v1.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 45 of 117

thanks @PhilProcarioJr that's what I wonted to see. So they have sheet metal and way more now.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 46 of 117

@daniel_lyall

AS long as your willing to think outside the box then yes, a lot of great tools are on the way.

Keep in mind that model only took 5 min to make imagine what's possible now with a few hours of work.....

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 47 of 117

@PhilProcarioJr I can think of quite a few things I could make very easily useing the sheet metal function (once I learn how to do sheet metal).

Lamp shades come to mind with shapes cut out of them or added on what could be done on a 4th axis on a cnc machine (a lot easier than it can be done now). I would say trippy would have a lot of use's for it too with his lights.

It's going to be fun to see what trippy and you can come up with. I have seen some of what is coming it's some good stuff and most of it's for sheet metal but will be used with everything else,

and the toolpath that's coming that some good stuff there It kill fusion at the moment it's in beta mode.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 48 of 117
keqingsong
in reply to: daniel_lyall

This thread is awesome. Let's keep sharing what we're coming up with. I got inspired by @PhilProcarioJr and made this. Gonna explore more complex geometry. 

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 2.26.38 PM.png

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 49 of 117
Anonymous
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

@promm referred me to this thread.  This is awesome.  I hope this works on mac and they are still grabbing beta testers!  

Message 50 of 117
daniel_lyall
in reply to: keqingsong

@keqingsong It's going to be good for doing wrap toolpaths we will be able to get the angle almost bang on, A lot closer than what you can now.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 51 of 117
keqingsong
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous This most certainly works on Mac. We are currently doing a limited preview rollout where a handful of folks have the functionality turned on. We'll be turning it on for more and more people soon so that we can capture feedback and react to them more efficiently before we have it open to everyone to try. Stay tuned!

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 52 of 117
masureb
in reply to: keqingsong

Pretty Cool! Did not think about spline between two planes surfaces!

So let' hope if they introduce revolve or loft, we could design stuff like this:

bergbottlenew.jpg

Thanks for your collaboration.

-Bertrand

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 53 of 117
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: masureb

@masureb

"So let' hope if they introduce revolve or loft, we could design stuff like this:"

Well I probably should tell you.....this is possible now with the current tools in sheet metal.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what happens when you mix Sculpt, Patch, Model and Sheetmetal environments?

This was done completely in Fusion with "NO" external tools...

Scroll_SheetMetal.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 54 of 117

Incredible craftsmanship.

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author
projektowanieproduktow.wordpress.com

Message 55 of 117
mroek

@PhilProcarioJr

That's just awesome! I never though that I'd feel a need for Sheet Metal, but your posts shows that it can be used for a lot more than what the name implies! Great work, thanks for sharing!

Message 56 of 117
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: mroek

@michallach81

Thanks for the kind words!

@mroek

A lot of people that didn't care about sheet metal being added were complaining they wanted modeling tools rather then sheet metal, and I can completely understand that.

From day one of me using Fusion all I did was try to use the current tool set in ways "Other" then what they were intended, then share that info with every Fusion user. That's why I created the thread what's really possible with T-Splines, to show users that T-Splines were not just a gimmick and they have a real value in CAD. Mesh space environment I still to this day have found very little use for, but hope someday it will be useful. Now here we are with sheet metal and I was privileged enough to be asked to attend an advisory meetup with the dev team in Portland. I saw a preview of sheet metal and instantly I started thinking of how the tools could be used other then sheet metal. This is what I have found so far and I hope it has sparked creativity in everyone on what will be possible. Anything is possible we just have to figure out how to make it happen. I'm glad you spoke up about this opening your eyes to new possibilities because it is people like you that drive me to figure out new ways of doing things and share that information with everyone. When no one speaks up I figure people are not interested and I keep the rest of what I find to myself. So thank you for giving me valuable feedback and letting me know you found value in new ways of doing things.   

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 57 of 117
masureb

I agree Phil, you can

2017-02-09_17-48-59.png

If we could delete the face inside and the face which helps to fold/unfold it would be perfect...

I share the model if you want to put your genius in it 😄

Thanks to tease us on this topic!

-Berty

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 58 of 117
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: masureb

@masureb

"If we could delete the face inside and the face which helps to fold/unfold it would be perfect..."

You can, switch to the patch environment and delete the faces used for flattening then patch the openings then loft. Smiley Wink

Check the file I have attached.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 59 of 117

@masureb

Actually this one is better...

Untitled(1).png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 60 of 117

Another option for round parts might be to have a larger flat then cut and shut to make the finished part.

tool6.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report