Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing imported surfaces (Quick)

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
krunoslav_knezic
2163 Views, 13 Replies

Fixing imported surfaces (Quick)

Hi all,

I have surface model imported from Solidworks, but the model needs to be fixed in order to be of any use.

Model have several issues, from not tanget (connected) surfaces, to spikes, smoothnes problem etc.

What would be the best practice to repair this model?

My intent is to create uniform surface so I could add thicken, slice model in pieces and 3D print as scale model.

Looking forward to hear your suggestions 🙂

Here is link to the model:

http://a360.co/2mBPGyu

Some of the issues:

Screenshot_031717_111451_AM.jpgScreenshot_031717_111527_AM.jpgScreenshot_031717_111616_AM.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
wilkhui
in reply to: krunoslav_knezic

Hi Krunoslav! This looks like an exciting project Smiley Very Happy

Given the problems you're seeing, it might be best to use the imported model just as a reference and make your own surfaces. I have a feeling this could be the fastest way forward since you're planning to thicken/shell later on (it's typically a big headache to thicken nearly-tangent surfaces).

Is that something you're comfortable with? If not I'm sure there are many people reading this who will be able to give valuable advice.

Cheers,

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 14
mroek

You could also perhaps try stitching in the patch workspace, but I think you'd need to then organize the model so that the surfaces you want to stitch belong to the same component. I quickly opened your model, and there are lots of components with just one single surface body in each.

Message 4 of 14
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: mroek

@mroek

Stitching the pieces together will not work. You end up with terrible surface quality. The dis-joined panels will need to be recreated manually.

Although @krunoslav_knezic did say he wants to print a scale model from it so the surface quality might be good enough for that. The deciding factor will be if the thicken will work as @wilkhui mentioned.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 5 of 14
mroek
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

@PhilProcarioJr

Yes, I know the surface quality will not be very nice, but minor imperfections doesn't matter much for a 3D-printed model. I did a quick test by stitching all of the outer panels of the model, but thickening doesn't work, as you predicted:

Error: Faces in shell have inconsistent orientation

Message 6 of 14
krunoslav_knezic
in reply to: wilkhui

@wilkhui

Yes It started as fun project, but now when I'm not making progress towards 3D printing, its started to look not so fun 😛

I was afraid that this would be the answer 😛

But I was hoping someone will come with solution that won't include modeling from scratch 😄

Message 7 of 14
krunoslav_knezic
in reply to: mroek

@mroek & @PhilProcarioJr

I have tried to cut bad surfaces, make loft and tried to repair what I can, but surfaces are bad, no matter that overall model looks good.

Maybe to switch to T-Splines, and try with Sculpt?

Message 8 of 14

@krunoslav_knezic

Honestly with what your wanting to do I would stitch the entire model together and save out a stl and convert it to an .obj file then run it through instant meshes and bring that .obj in and convert it to a T-Spline then shell it. I know it sounds like a lot but it would only take about 15 min or so and be a lot less work. If you stitch everything together I will do all the conversion for you when I get home.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 9 of 14

@PhilProcarioJr

Thanks, yes that seams reasonable, and best (quickest) way 🙂

What would you sugest to use for fixing the Mesh?

MeshMixer or ReMake?

Message 10 of 14

@krunoslav_knezic

Meshmixer should work fine for this.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 11 of 14
JDMather

I left the lower leading edge of the vertical stabilizer for you to fix up.

(see attached)

F-86.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 14
krunoslav_knezic
in reply to: JDMather

@JDMather

Thank you for fixing the model.

I would appreciate if you would share how you did it? 🙂

Message 13 of 14
JDMather

Autodesk Inventor has environments specifically for repairing imported geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 14 of 14
krunoslav_knezic
in reply to: JDMather

That explains it all 😄

Thank you once again for fixing model for me 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report