Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exported DWG and DXF are in cm instead of mm

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
erik.mattsson
1458 Views, 8 Replies

Exported DWG and DXF are in cm instead of mm

Hi,

I work in mm's in Fusion 360 and every now and then I need to export the designs as DWG or DXF.

If I do the export using the web service and then open the exported files in TrueViewer the scaling is a factor 10 wrong. I.e. 10 mm turns into 0.1 cm.

If I export to dxf using the built in save as dxf function the units are converted correctly.

Am I missing something when using the web service for export?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Mike.Grau
in reply to: erik.mattsson

Hi @erik.mattsson,

Thank you for your post in the Forum and thanks for pointing to this.

I´ll check this on our end.

We will keep you updated.

Thanks,

Message 3 of 9
Mike.Grau
in reply to: Mike.Grau

Hi @erik.mattsson,

Thanks again for your Forum post.

The export from Fusion 360 into a dwg works fine.

It´s just the unit system which is different between Fusion 360 and DWGTrueView.

Fusion 360 will convert mm units into cm since the default unit system of DWGTrueView is cm.

Example: 125 mm into 12,5 cm - which should be shown correctly.

Could you explain which build in "Save as DXF" function you are using.

Please, feel free to share a Screencast or screenshot.

Thank you,

Message 4 of 9
erik.mattsson

Hi Mike,

you're right. I had bad luck when thinking Smiley Happy - sorry about that.

The built in "Save as DXF" is the one found when right clicking on a sketch. The resulting dxf-file I get from saving a sketch in this manner displays in mm in DWGTrueView while the dwg's and dxf's exported from the web service are displayed in cm.

Anyway, I somehow convinced myself that the scaling of the exported model was incorrect (taking the mm vs cm into account) but this was a mistake from my side.

Best regards

Erik

Message 5 of 9
Mike.Grau

Hi @erik.mattsson,

Thank you for the update.

Let me know if you experience anything like that again.

Thanks,

Message 6 of 9
erik.mattsson

Hi Mike,

I have another problem now related to exporting the sketch as dxf using the built in Save as-command. Please se the attached screenshots of how the sketch look like in fusion 360 and how the resulting dxf look like when opening it in DWG TrueView. Some of the geometry is moved.

The sketch is created by projecting a 3D-model onto an offset plane. What is strange is also that a previous version of the sketch was exported as dxf correctly.

Do you have any idea why I see this behaviour?

Thanks

Erik

Message 7 of 9

Hi again,

I just got the latest update of fusion and after that had finished the dxf looks fine. So, either the update fixed some problem or the fact that I restarted fusion after the update was downloaded made things work again.

Best regards

Erik

Message 8 of 9
Mike.Grau

Hi @erik.mattsson,

Thanks for sharing the screenshots.

I´m glad that the issue has been solved throughout the latest update.

Thanks,

Message 9 of 9
Mike.Grau

Hi @erik.mattsson,

Thanks for the update.

I have created simple test block, with metric units, 100x60x30 mm,  and derived a drawing for that one.

• Exporting the Drawing into a *.dxf and importing it into DWGTrueView 2018 shows the correct dimension unit, when you measure the length, in "mm". = 100 mm, correct 
  • Exporting the Design from A360 and Public Link into *.dwg and *.dxf and importing it into DWGTrueView 2018 shows the dimension unit, when you measure the length, in "cm". The conversion worked correctly 100 mm into 10 cm.

There is no "Save as *.dxf" in Fusion 360, only "Save as *.stl", unless you have installed a Plugin. Another option is "Export" into *.f3d, *.iges, *.sat, *.smt, *.step from Fusion 360.

Please, let me know if you do anything different then the options I have listed 😉

Thanks, 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report