Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DXF import not working properly

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ViewingSoftware
1446 Views, 4 Replies

DXF import not working properly

Hi, I am trying to import DXFs that were drawn in Illustrator into Fusion 360 but on import they are no longer contiguous, which means I can't extrude the shape I need. (Each line in the drawing is joined in Illustrator to create a single contiguous path.)  What is strange is that sometimes the DXF import will work fine but more often than not it won't.  It's more likely to work if I select inches as my scale but unfortunately I need mm.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

If you use the inset menu and insert a DXF they come in to scale and you can set it's units and position it that way, don't use import 

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 5

@ViewingSoftware you might have more luck with SVG, see this post for settings needed in Illustrator.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5

I could insert it into F360 but there are some conversion issues with the file.  I also opened it in Corel 8 and Autocad 2017.  Both showed some issues that might have caused the geometry to fail.  Corel showed a single node on each of the contours that wouldn't extrude.  That could mean when AI converted to dxf whatever was at that line join created a node.  With the node there the geometry doesn't close.  Both Corel and Acad show different line colors/weights on the import as well as 2 layers on the import.  Both of those can be problematic on an import depending on what you are importing to.  Not all dxf translators behave the same way.

You may want to give svg a shot like Mark suggested.

Here's what I do to ensure my dxfs export and import most globally.  I started doing this working with CO2 laser files and found it can be handy to get consistent imports across other programs including plasma, waterjet and routing.  I reduce the variables and options to the bare minimum.  I usually don't have any issues with straight exports to and from major programs but sometimes older or lesser known programs can give an issue.  Inkscape, Torchmate, Flow and Vectric come to mind.  Usually AI, Corel and Autodesk mostly play nice together without resorting to what I outline below.  Except for F360 sometimes...

I use only a single drawing layer.  Everything I need is drawn on that one layer or moved to that layer.  All other layers (should be empty) are deleted prior to export when possible.

I use only one line weight/type on the drawing.  If it's drafting (Acad) I use the default, if it's a drawing (Corel/AI) I use hairline.

I use only one color, black.  If it's a drawing I use RGB.

Convert all text to curves but try not to need any text on that import particularly if I'm going to extrude the drawing (though sometimes, like for engraving, easier said than done...)

If I'm transferring from current (or recent) Autodesk program to Autodesk program, I use a recent dxf type, usually the most recent.  If I'm going to or from to a non Autodesk program I may use an older version if available.  For example all the way back to dxf R9 if required though most are good within a few versions of the most recent.  I avoid the most recent if going to a non Autodesk program. 

I use dxf a great deal, many that I didn't create or translate.  There have been sometimes where I've had to go to an svg or even a pdf to get usable vector art, but for the most part I can usually translate the dxf into something usable.

Message 5 of 5

Many thanks for your comprehensive answer. I think the problem I have is that the original DXFs were created in SketchUp. I imported them into Illustrator to tidy them up as much as I can but clearly there are still issues.

Unfortunately when I try to import using SVG the extrudable fill does not fall inside the geometry but overlaps it for some reason.

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report