Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.dxf files - what are they for?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
oldtbone55
915 Views, 14 Replies

.dxf files - what are they for?

I have a set of 3d guitar plans and included in the plans is a .dxf file that is supposed to have all of the geometry, if I understand this, needed for generating the toolpaths. I've been struggling for quite some time to build the toolpaths without this file and could only get so far. How does this work as I see you can insert a .dxf file when you're in the Model mode?

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
etfrench
in reply to: oldtbone55

The usual process would be to import the dxf files into Fusion 360, then create a 3d model based on the dxf files.  Once you have the model created, you can use it in the CAM module to generate the toolpaths.

If the guitar body is flat and no 3d toolpaths are required, then you don't need to create the 3d model.

Can you post the dxf files here?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
oldtbone55
in reply to: etfrench

Thanks for the help. DXF file attached. By the way, I already have the file with the 3D body. I have it as an igs or stp file format. I've tried to insert the .dxf file but Fusion is not responding. Should I be opening the .dxf file first before opening the igs or stp file of the body? I'm getting the following message when I attach the .dxf file. I checked it and it does have the.dxf file extension.

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.
The attachment's Les Paul Single Cut Hollow Body DXF All.dxf content type (text/plain) does not match its file extension and has been removed

Message 4 of 15
etfrench

It looks like dxf files need to put in a zip folder first.  In Windows, just right click on the file, then select Send To, and then Compressed Folder.

Actually you should only need the igs or stp file. Can you put these in the zip folder as well.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
etfrench

Message 6 of 15
oldtbone55

Okay. Here they are.

Message 7 of 15
etfrench

What toolpaths can't you create?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
oldtbone55

Sorry for not being able to reply sooner. Still getting over pneumonia. I'm unable to create the toolpaths for the pick up cavities as well as the channel that goes across the body diagonally. Apparently there is no information there the way the model currently stands to generate the toolpaths. I keep getting the message 'no passes to link' and 'no toolpath created'.. The .dxf file was supposed to contain the information needed but Fusion stops responding when I try to insert it. I know this isn't the forum for CAM issues but I'd like to find out why my .dxf file can't be inserted into the environment. I've attached my Fusion file if you'd like to have a look at it but you can also find it in the CAM forum.

Jeff Strater,  could really use your help here.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 15
etfrench

The tool selected for the diagonal slot is too large for the slot.  Change it to 1/4" flat.  Generally speaking you should always mill slots with bits smaller than the width of the slot.  You'll also get a better finish by using Stock to Leave for roughing, then add another finish pass usually full depth (depends on your tool bit).

The other pockets can be cut using the same technique you're using for the diagonal slot.

p.s. Use the @ to get someones attention: @Anonymous

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
oldtbone55

Thanks kindly. I'll try what you've suggested and will hopefully have some success. The question in my mind still remains, why can't I insert the .dxf file I have?

Thanks. 

Message 11 of 15
oldtbone55

Okay, Changing to a 1/4" end mill was not the solution. I went back into the model environment and created a new sketch for the diagonal slot in a slightly different way and this time when I went back into the CAM environment to create the toolpath it worked. Problem is, I still have issues with creating the toolpath for the pick up pockets even though I used the same methodology I used for the slot. It seems that I can create the toolpath but am unable to reference any depth, thus all I get is a toolpath that rides along the surface of the pockets. Anyway, just thought I'd provide an update.

@JeffStater Can you help?

@PhilProcarioJr Can you help?

Message 12 of 15
etfrench

I didn't have a problem creating the toolpath with the existing sketch.  The only change needed was the toolbit change to the smaller size.

Use the Inspect|Measure tool to get the pocket depths.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
oldtbone55

Thanks kindly. I'll try that without having to create any other sketch geometry first. Will let you know.

Regards!

Message 14 of 15
PhilProcarioJr

@oldtbone55

I assume this is what your wanting to do? I did not set the speeds and feeds so you will need to set the tool settings.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 15 of 15
oldtbone55
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

@PhilProcarioJr that's exactly what I was trying to do. I was having a problem because I couldn't seem to get the bottom height set up. For some reason I couldn't choose the 'Face' at the bottom of the trench. I now see that it was because I didn't set the offset to '0' in first and then pick the face.

Thanks kindly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report