Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Lineweight

67 REPLIES 67
SOLVED
Message 1 of 68
koltonmcconkey
15703 Views, 67 Replies

Drawing Lineweight

Hi everyone I was just doing a project and converted my model into a drawing and printed it and realized the lines were way too thick. I've tried messing around with it in AutoCAD. As far as I know theres no way to change lineweight of drawings directly in Fusion. So if someone could help me out that'd be great! 🙂 I was also wondering if there was a way to edit the drawing views, like doing things such as deleting or adding lines and such. They seem to be set as blocks or something like that?

Thanks guys 🙂 

67 REPLIES 67
Message 2 of 68
cmiller66
in reply to: koltonmcconkey

Hi koltonmcconkey,

You're right, we don't yet have controls for lineweight settings in Fusion 360 Drawings.  The ability to adjust lineweights is on our "To Do" list (also known as the Roadmap if you see this term mentioned in other forum posts).

The views themselves are not quite blocks, they're AutoCAD Drawing View objects.  You'll see this if you open the exported drawing in AutoCAD, select a view and check Properties, or LIST the view.  The views are editable within the Fusion 360 Drawings environment to a certain extent, you can double-click a view and adjust scale, and visibility for hidden lines and tangent/interference edges, but you can't turn off individual sub-objects in the view (say one line).

If you open the drawing in AutoCAD and check the Layer dialog, you should see a number of MD_ layers listed.  These correspond to the drawing view geometry.  Editing the lineweight settings for these layers should result in a change to the drawing view - you can make sure this is the case before you print by setting LWDISPLAY On in the drawing.

It's been mentioned in a few other posts but if you want to make a lot of changes or need to access the view geometry in modelspace, you can use the EXPORTLAYOUT command to export the layout to a new drawing (will be in model space) then use the EXPLODE command on the views to allow editing of individual entities.

We're actively working on and rolling out new features as they become ready, and you will see continued enhancements and new functionality in upcoming releases.  It hasn't been updated yet, but you can check the Roadmap for what's coming in the next few updates.

Thanks,

Chris

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 68
koltonmcconkey
in reply to: cmiller66

Okay, thank you very much! I very much appreciate your reply, very helpful! 🙂 

Message 4 of 68
koltonmcconkey

Hi Chris, 

I tried what you mentioned about the EXPORTLAYOUT for my drawing and can't seem to find it? I do use a Mac so i dont know if this just isnt a feature on the Mac version of AutoCAD? 

Thanks again

Message 5 of 68
cmiller66

Hi koltonmcconkey,

Yes, sorry about that, I see you are correct and this command isn't available in AutoCAD on the Mac.  EXPORTLAYOUT is supported in the Windows version of AutoCAD and LT, not sure why it isn't in Mac, but I have forwarded a request to support this command to the ACAD Mac team. 

We do have plans to implement a more direct way to export drawing geometry to model space directly from Fusion Drawings, likely be a combination of Exportlayout/Explode, but view geometry scale would need to be kept in mind so the results were the expected 1:1, not the drawing view scale.

Thanks,

Chris

Message 6 of 68
koltonmcconkey

Thanks again Chris, I'm happy as long as I know it'll be implemented. For now I will just use what is available to me and try to make the best of it!

Thanks,
Kolton
Message 7 of 68
cekuhnen

can you even have access to all the lines and style them as needed while maintaining the drawing associative to the cad data?

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 8 of 68
cmiller66
in reply to: cekuhnen

Hi Claas,

Lineweight control within Fusion Drawings is still on our To Do list.  Once implemented though lineweight should not affect the associativity of the view to the design geometry (or associativity of the annotations to the drawing view).  Do you have any specific cases where what we currently have is not supporting what you need?  For controls over line properties would you be looking for the equivalent of per-Layer control (i.e. all visible lines should look this way) or control over individual line segments?

Thanks,
Chris

Message 9 of 68
Anonymous

Hello all,

Is the drawing lineweight change still on the roadmap?

Thanks,

Troy

Message 10 of 68
cmiller66
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Troy,

Yes, Lineweights are one of the properties that will get rolled in with basic layer management.  I don't have a timeframe yet, but we definitely still plan on implementing this.  Are there any specific settings you're most interested in?

Thanks,
Chris

Message 11 of 68
Anonymous

Mainly just the lineweight. As a recent drawing i made has serrations/teeth across face of rectangular shaped part, that are spaced 1/32" apart. It just looks like a solid block on drawing. 🙂

Thanks,

Troy

Message 12 of 68
Anonymous

Mainly just the lineweight. As a recent drawing i made has serrations/teeth across face of rectangular shaped part, that are spaced 1/32" apart. It just looks like a solid block on drawing. :)Thanks,Troy
Message 13 of 68
GraphicMan

Hi Guys,

Just learning about Fusion and building models and I thought I'd test out the drawing side of the App. Drawing my model was easy (though the type usability, isn't intuitive) but converting to PDF was a shock. While the Views of the Drawing look great, the actual resulting PDF is awful. The linework is so thick it doesn't represent the drawing or the model. I noticed this thread and the responses from 03-14-2016 and that the Fusion staff are working on this. Has anything been done since the last post? Am I missing something? Is there a check box or menu where I can get a PDF that is a true representation of the Drawing within the App. I come from a Mac Graphic Design background and a majority of the Graphics App generate close to realistic linework from App to PDF. If nothing has still been done, can I suggest we need a drop down menu for each Drawing's View so we can adjust the linework's Point Size. At least then, if I stipulate 1pt for my line drawings I know I'm going to get a thin line. If nothing has been done yet, I hope this has a priority as this is the backend result of the App's great modelling work in Fusion 360. I have attached a pic of the line thickness capabilities of the latest version of Adobe's Illustrator as an example. (Basically, most Apps do something similar now)

Any update on the line thickness issue of the Drawing section Views would be appreciated.

Cheers

Message 14 of 68
cmiller66
in reply to: GraphicMan

Hi GraphicMan,

Thanks for checking on this.  You're not missing anything, a setting for this is not available.  The drawings team has been working down the list of prioritized feature work though, and layer management (including modification of color, linetype and lineweight properties) is coming up.  Timing is T.B.D. but it is definitely still on the roadmap.

Thanks,
Chris

Message 15 of 68
GraphicMan

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Re: Drawing output.

I hope it's on the top of the list of the Fusion Team's implementation plans because I guess there are a lot of users of Fusion out there who can't get a legible spec sheet from their model, and that's the final requirement Users need from an App such as this.

(And People in this thread were talking about this in early 2015!)

The guy above my initial post is saying his serrations linework is coming out as a block...and he said that in March this year. 

Does the Roadmap have a Time Line? (And I hope the Time Line is not too thick and adjustable!) jk Man Very Happy

Cheers again

GM

Message 16 of 68
cmiller66
in reply to: GraphicMan

Hi GraphicMan,

Not too thick, and always adjustable...  We should be getting to this in a few more updates. If you've been with us for a while you'll see the drawings feature is still playing a bit of "catch up" and we're getting the new features out as soon as we can.  Trying to fill in the big gaps in functionality first, but I hear you, the lineweight setting (currently) can lead to some unexpected output.

Thanks,
Chris

Message 17 of 68
Anonymous

Well there is a sortoff workable sollution and I really don't get why the standard linewaights are so thick....

make a dwg of your file

open it in dwg trueview (dwg file viewer)

change lineweights in the layer dialog

visible narrow to 0.09

visible             to 0.13

dimensions     to 0.09

hidden            to 0.09

there are more depending on your drawing

you could change the others to but they were not important to me

then plot to pdf

sad thing you cannot save unless u use autocad or lt

Message 18 of 68
roger

Hi

I don't need a dialog to change the line width but I want the pdf to look like the drawing on screen:

On screen:

2017-01-25_17-04-39.png

in PDF:

2017-01-25_17-05-31.png

When will this be realized?

Message 19 of 68
Anonymous
in reply to: roger

Indeed, this should be prior in the list. Manufacturing objects from such 2D files is not possible. I would love to see this in the next update 🙂 Keep up the good work fusion!
Message 20 of 68
Anonymous

As a cabinetmaker this would help a lot too! Lineweight, deleting/hiding individual lines, deleting/hiding hatch style in section view, lineweigth of hatch style and adding new sketches to the drawing are in my experience all pretty critical features. The features are implemented in Inventor, which I have made good use of. But the simplicity of Fusion 360 makes it a quicker tool to use, so it would be great if these features are being rolled out!  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report