Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimensions in 3d model fusion 360

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
velissariosvoutsas50
4020 Views, 9 Replies

dimensions in 3d model fusion 360

Hi, I am new to Fusion, I wonder if there is a way to have the dimensions seen on the 3 d model, f.e.a cube or a cylinder and export that as a 2d image, (like you can do in Sketchup).ferrofluid _2016_base.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

As far as I know you cannot put any dimensions on an iso view of any kind yet

Message 3 of 10

Correct!

Peter Doering
Message 4 of 10

Thank you for your answer. Does "yet" mean that this possibility will come later? I consider this as a major disadvantage of the softxare.

Message 5 of 10

...we can only hope.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 6 of 10
donJPMHL
in reply to: jcstephens1

I am  on the trial.  I have just spend the last hour trying to figure out why I cannot select vertices of a 3d object and add a dimension.  I know its not a matter of technology.    What a creepy thing to do.   It feels discriminating.  Maybe Rhino is a better option. 

Message 7 of 10

You can, of course, make any sketch visible, right click on it in the Browser, and select the option to Show Dimensions.

And you can, of course, save the canvas as an image.

dimimage.png

Message 8 of 10
johnAMKDR
in reply to: chrisplyler

That's a useful tip. But how do you dimension the thickness?

Moreover, I'm starting with a lot of files from vendors (igs, stp, sldprt) where there are no sketches. Being able to add a couple of dimensions and take a screenshot would really help communications.

I didn't see this on the Feb 2018 roadmap, but it is shown as "Future Consideration" at https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/drawing-dimensions-on-isometric-view....

Message 9 of 10
chrisplyler
in reply to: johnAMKDR

The thickness is controlled by the Extrusion operation. To change it, you must "edit feature" by right-clicking on that operation icon in the time line.

Or, I sometimes use what I call a "controlling sketch." In this case, put a little construction line on one of the vertical origin planes, and put a point on the top of that line. Dimension the line length. Then, when it's time to make the Extrusion, instead of a hard value for the distance, you can select the "to object" option, and click on the point at the top of that line. Now the extrusion thickness will be tied to the location of that point point, which in turn is tied to the length dimension of that line. You you can just turn on "show dimensions" for that sketch also, and control the thickness directly via the dimension.

I call it a controlling sketch because I don't actually make any geometry directly from it, but instead use it to control some aspect of geometry.

Message 10 of 10
chrisplyler
in reply to: johnAMKDR

To add dimensions to an imported file where no sketch exists...

...create a new sketch on the plane you would like to add dimensions to, project in the edges or points you would like to dimension, and dimension them appropriately.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report