Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Design a Tufted Headboard Video' Question

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
tprice71
992 Views, 9 Replies

'Design a Tufted Headboard Video' Question

Hello all!

I have a quick question on this video on making a tufted headboard.

Video

I am at 6.25 in the video where it shows how to select the vertices from the modify tool and then grab the arrow and pull the points back to start the tufting look. When I try this, the entire plane pulls in and it looks like a bowl. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong, maybe I have a setting off or something.

I want to apply this technique on a box, I am making an ottoman cushion  to set on a wood frame. I want the button / tuck look on the top of the ottoman just like the headboard on this video. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Beyondforce
in reply to: tprice71

Hi @tprice71,

If you could make a screencast of what You are doing, then we can tell you what you are doing wrong.

Cheers / Ben
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Check out my YouTube channel: Fusion 360: Newbies+

Ben Korez
Owner, TESREG.com & Fusion 360 NewbiesPlus
TESREG - Fusion 360 Hardware Benchmark
Facebook | YouTube

Message 3 of 10
tprice71
in reply to: Beyondforce

Here is the screencast,

I'm sorry, I don't currently have a mic on my PC. I followed the video instructions,

1) I made a plane at 24" x 24" and set the faces

2) I set the "Select Filter" to T-Spline Vertices

3) Opened the "Modify Tool"

4) Selected the points, holding Ctrl key

5) Rotated to the side view

6) Pushed the vertices to -2"

I get a different result than in the video. Mine looks like a bowl.

What am I missing?

Message 4 of 10
Beyondforce

Note how many faces she is using (24 W/L) and how many you have (around 6)!
You should really learn T-Spline from the beginning. It is very important you learn the basic before you jump into more advance modeling with T-Spline.

Ben.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 5 of 10
tprice71

I increased the faces and it worked great! I set my faces/spacing on what I wanted my part to look like and missed what input Fusion was needing. Now that I watch the video again I get what she is saying about the spacing.

This is my very first attempt at T-Splines and I am very interested in learning more in how they work. I thought what I was attempting here was basic, lol !!

Thanks for giving me a shove in the right direction!

Message 6 of 10
Beyondforce

@tprice71,

@PhilProcarioJr and @cekuhnen are T-Spline Gurus. I'm sure they will be more than happy to point you to the right direction.

T-Spline (Free Form Modeling) is great and really fun to work with, but you must learn the basic first!

Good Luck.

Cheers / Ben
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Check out my YouTube channel: Fusion 360: Newbies+

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 7 of 10
tprice71

Well, I got the look I was after. Its still a bit "boxy" looking and I need to take a few buttons out of it, but I'm on the right track. I'm going to keep tinkering on it.

I do mostly wood cabinets and case-good models and its fairly straightforward process to make. Upholstery items is something new I am trying and these T-Splines seem to be the way to go! 

Thanks again for your help Ben!

Ottoman_Green Leather.jpg

Message 8 of 10
cekuhnen

@tprice71 Is the way to go here for soft goods. The trick is to use the least amount if points as possible to maintain smooth results while using the needed amount of points

to sculpt the details desired.

Topology layout is very important - here are some vids that show different approaches to it.

this is done in blender but the mesh layout is valid for T-Splines also the workflow in most aspects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqgHI05tZZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVOOxyMbnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3BnXT3nmK4

In the rendering I saw some creases and such I think you have some edges not merged.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 9 of 10
tprice71
in reply to: cekuhnen

Thanks Claas!

Those videos were very helpful! The concepts of t-splines are starting to make sense. I made another cushion this afternoon and I think it looks much better. I am still not quite satisfied with it, but I have only been working with t-splines about 24 hours now, lol.

I added edges 1/16" on each side of the button center-lines like the guy in the first video did, then pulled the faces it created out 1/8". It looks like the leather is pulled tight on the sides some. I also got the boxy look out of it.

This stuff is really cool, I hate I waited so long to start working with them.

Here is the latest part:

Ottoman_Red Leather.jpg

Message 10 of 10
Beyondforce

Great job @tprice71, it looks really good!

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report