Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CYCLIC SYMMETRY

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
638 Views, 8 Replies

CYCLIC SYMMETRY

Hi

I am doing topology optimization for a rotating disk. I want to do my optimization with a 360/64 degree of part and apply cyclic symmetry to my part. How can I do that?

Thank you in advance

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
etfrench
in reply to: Anonymous

Is cyclic symmetry the same as Circular Pattern in Fusion 360?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: etfrench

Yes. It is same.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Yes. It is same.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet
Message 5 of 9
etfrench

Does Shape Optimization work for what you need to do?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

But it doesn't make cicular pattern or cyclic symmetry here in this project. I attached that I'll make optimization. This is just 360/64 of my part

Message 7 of 9
John_Holtz

Hi @Anonymous and @etfrench

Cyclic symmetry is related to a circular pattern, but what needs to be done in the analysis is different than what would be done to draw the CAD geometry (using a circular pattern). You can use this page from the Simulation Mechanical documentation to get an understanding of what cyclic symmetry does in an analysis: Cyclic Symmetry.

Cyclic symmetry is an advanced option that Fusion does not have. If the model is really cyclic symmetric, the only option would be to model the entire 360 degrees.

Obviously, your real part is a full disk. But, is your analysis of the 1/64 section really cyclic symmetric, or is it just symmetric? What are the loads on the model?

1. If the loads are radial and/or axial, the analysis can be symmetric. In this case, you can use frictionless constraints on the two cut faces.
  2. If the loads include a tangential component, then the analysis does require cyclic symmetry.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

I tried to explain my boundary conditions in the shown picture. My loads are pressure on the top surface and Rotational force in radial direction. My part should be free just in radial direction and fixed in tangential and axial direction.

Message 9 of 9
John_Holtz

Hi @Anonymous

I think that most Fusion users will not understand your references to a cylindrical coordinate system (where "X" is a radial direction, not a global X direction, and so on). And since Fusion does not have cylindrical coordinate systems, we have to think in terms of global XYZ.

Based on your loads, the results will be symmetric about each of the faces as shown in the attached diagram. Thus, cyclic symmetry is not required for this analysis. The way you create the "symmetry" constraints when the face is not perpendicular to X, Y, or Z is to apply a "Constraint > Structural Constraint" and set the "Type" to "Frictionless". The axial restraint (in the global X direction in your model) is not on the symmetry faces -- those faces are free to move in the global X. The X direction is restrained somewhere else on the model (at the inside diameter if this is where the model is attached to a shaft?).

See the attached figure.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report