Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Company infrastructure glitch, my Fusion experience...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mcramblet
307 Views, 4 Replies

Company infrastructure glitch, my Fusion experience...

We had a infrastructure problem this morning, where we lost power to our servers. That meant out internet, phones, networking, etc., all went down. Not a good thing, bringing the whole office portion of the company to a standstill. All of the SolidWorks users were out of luck, as both the licensing server and the database server went down, leaving them stopped in their tracks, with no access to SolidWorks or their files.

I, on the other hand, didn't miss a beat. Fusion seamlessly switched to offline mode and I was able to continue to work like nothing was wrong (keeping the same file structure of the data panel, nice!). I was working on several files and saved multiple times. Once everything was restored, Fusion quietly went back online and re-synced everything back to the cloud. I had a couple of conversations about Fusion 360 with some SolidWorks users, who came over to see how I was still able to work.

Thanks, Autodesk!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
brianrepp
in reply to: mcramblet

Wow - this is awesome feedback @mcramblet, and also great to hear that some of the recent work put into the offline experience (and transition to/from) has made this a more positive experience!

Message 3 of 5
mcramblet
in reply to: brianrepp

@brianrepp, yes, that recent work with the offline experience was good stuff and worked great!

Message 4 of 5
prabakarm
in reply to: mcramblet

@mcramblet Glad to hear that the recent work helped.  It looks like you company uses both SWX and Fusion 360.  Just curious to know what guys do and how you use both.

Thanks,

Prabakar.

Message 5 of 5
mcramblet
in reply to: prabakarm

@prabakarm-

We are a packaging company, with our primary focus being thermoforming. Food, retail, industrial and automotive are the sectors that we are involved with. I'm involved in the "creative/conceptual" side of things, where I create a variety of concepts that are based on the specifics of a given project, usually when the customer doesn't have a clear idea of what they need or want. I use Fusion 360 as my main CAD tool to create thermoformed products which are shown to the customer via renderings and A360, to zero in on what the end product needs to be. Fusion allows me quickly create multiple products in a short time frame and easily make changes, during this phase of the process.. Once the end product is defined, the concept then goes into engineering to be refined and sampled, then on to production where we machine the needed molds and create the other tooling, then on to running on a production line. Everything from engineering onward is done through SolidWorks. SWX is thoroughly entrenched here and there isn't much of an openness to look into other CAD tools or a different way of doing things. It's interesting, because I hear so much complaining about SWX and issues that they have with it, but yet a huge reluctance to change.

I know that the recent Fusion 360 outages caused problems for people, and I don't want to minimize that in any way, but I've seen substantially more issues with SolidWorks, within our company. License server issues, database issues, earlier this week a Windows update caused some issue with SWX, Our IT department seems to frequently work on issues relating to SWX. Some of it could be due to our implementation of SWX, I don't know, but there are a lot of issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report