Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Plane Orientation

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
des_owen
26075 Views, 18 Replies

Changing Plane Orientation

Hi

I have a couple of parts designed in Fusion that I want to send to Cura to print.  I guess I must have picked the wrong plane to place the original sketches on when I started because in Cura the pieces are on their side rather than standing up.  Can I change this after I've designed the parts in Fusion?

Many thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
inchul.lee
in reply to: des_owen

Hi des.owen,

You can use 'Redefine' command to move a sketch to another plane.

plane_01.png

You may want to check out this technical article:

Inchul Lee
Message 3 of 19
NicolasXu

Hi des.owen,

Another guess from me is that you may face a problem related to modeling orientation.

There is a preference setting to specify the default modeling orientation, to be Y Up or Z Up. It sounds like your design were created as Y Up.

The orientation is stored in the design when it’s saved, and it cannot be changed after saving. As for your case, you can either Redefine the sketch plane or use the Move command to rotate the bodies so the up direction aligns with the Z axis.

Capture.PNG

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 19
Pavel_Holecek

Hello,

This change is possible also to do when you select all components/bodies and use Move command – then you can rotate with all components together. Another possibility is to insert current design into a new design and positioning it ( during insertion Fusion360 offers you to rotate and move with inserted component).

Regrads

Pavel

Pavel Holecek
Autodesk QA team
Message 5 of 19
des_owen
in reply to: inchul.lee

Perfect, many thanks.

Des Owen

M: 07515 955810

O: 01492 593477
Message 6 of 19
desowen
in reply to: NicolasXu

Many thanks. What a great product and superb support community.
Message 7 of 19
kingson138
in reply to: desowen

Hi desowen,  

The present orientation of "Y" up is what we used to setup STEP (CAD) files for making mold layouts for Industries like Plastic Injection Molding  It is because the Mold makers' CAD programs are usually " Y " up (my mold makers are!). 3D printing  is using the Z up format most of the time. In fact it is not too important. Unless you are using your own printer. Commercial 3D printers like Sculpteo of France will arrange your models in their printers in the most economical way (Batch Printing) with the proper texture. Only when you uploaded your model to the Commercial Printer's website you might see the model kind of laying down if you used Y up. Some 3D commercial printers will correct the visual orientation automatically. Most of their websites allow you to change the orientation to the way you wanted. That is only visually.  If you are using  3D printing as a form of rapid prototyping for Injection Mold Designing, then you should continue to use "Y" up. I think using the "Move" command to rotate your model in the work space is a good move. If you are just doing 3D printing you should set you default format to "Z" up in preference.  

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 8 of 19
kingson138
in reply to: desowen

Hi, If you are going to use Fusion 360 for manufacturing I believe you do have to set "Y" up as default.  3D Printing companies will print your products and the orientation is not really that important. But for projects like Plastic Injection Mold designing and making the proper orientation is important. Mold designers are not product designers. They will design a mold layout based on the orientation of the model that you sent to them (stp files). All of them, are practically using "Y" up. It has to do with the proper draft angles, etc.  If your model orientation is not correct the mold designers will reject your model and just tell you that your model could not be made by that method. By the way, we as designers do not design molds. Molds Designing is a different technology that needs to be studied separately. 

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 9 of 19
des_owen
in reply to: kingson138

Great answers and they have helped my learning, thank you.  In the end, I decided to start again with the preferences set to Z up. It is more intuitive and appropriate for me to have the model sitting upright otherwise after printing it would be harder to remove from the glass plate as there would be more of it stuck down on the longer edge.  When I iterate the design it does improve so it was a good thing to do and also helped me learn more.  Thanks all.

Message 10 of 19
OFGLLC

A limitation of this is that you can not redefine the plane to a plane that did not exist in the timeline before the Sketch was created.  Not a problem for you if you just chose the wrong plane originally.  As far as I know, the only way to deal with this limitation is to copy-paste into a new Sketch later in the timeline.   Then if the bugs in Copy-Paste don't get you, you're good.

Message 11 of 19
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: OFGLLC

@OFGLLC

"A limitation of this is that you can not redefine the plane to a plane that did not exist in the timeline before the Sketch was created."

This is easily fixed by rolling back the timeline before the sketch and creating a reference plane where you need it. 

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 12 of 19
OFGLLC
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

Thanks a lot.  That's just opened a new world for me.

Message 13 of 19
tommy

Hi Guys,

I have a very similar question about this. I am a fairly CAD (and Fusion) novice so please try and bear with me. I have a assembly which has one origin for all components. Then some designer (using Solidworks I believe) has come and stuck in a PCB into that same assembly. The alignment is correct, but the origin is totally reversed. This now means when I come to save part of full assembly as a sub-assembly in IGES or DWG, the resulting assembly is no longer assembled and the two PCBs have flipped away from each other.

I have tried redefining the origin as described in this post above, but as it was not designed in Fusion there is no sketch for the PCB with the offending origin. Therefore, I cannot seem to solve how to get the origins to match (so that the added PCB has the same origin as the rest of the design).

I have attached a screenshot of the two PCBs in question with all other non-PCB components removed and the origins showing so you can see the flip reversal. I have also added a screenshot of what happens when I save these and the assembly falls apart. As you can see in the screenshot of the saved issue there is also another component (part of an on/off switch) that also appears to have another origin issue.

Any help in sorting this issue would be very much appreciated as it is driving me nuts and holding up the project.

Cheers,

Tom

Message 14 of 19
OFGLLC
in reply to: tommy

Do you know how the PCB was brought into the design?
Message 15 of 19
etfrench

@des_owen wrote:

Hi

I have a couple of parts designed in Fusion that I want to send to Cura to print.  I guess I must have picked the wrong plane to place the original sketches on when I started because in Cura the pieces are on their side rather than standing up.  Can I change this after I've designed the parts in Fusion?

Many thanks.

Wouldn't it be easier to flip the parts in Cura?  In Fusion 360 it's usually best to create all of the parts in their relative (or actual) positions. 

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
tommy
in reply to: OFGLLC

@OFGLLC wrote:
Do you know how the PCB was brought into the design?

Afraid not. I could get the person who added it to try and deal with it but it is just another delay that I would prefer to avoid.

Message 17 of 19
tommy
in reply to: etfrench

@etfrench wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to flip the parts in Cura?  In Fusion 360 it's usually best to create all of the parts in their relative (or actual) positions. 

Sorry, I don't know anything about Cura. I have hijacked this post as it seemed to be a related issue to mine.

Message 18 of 19
mathelm64
in reply to: NicolasXu

Link is dead, and I still couldn't "redefine" my plane....

I think you need to show (click on little bulb) Origin first...

Message 19 of 19
Pavel_Holecek
in reply to: mathelm64

Hello,

here is a link to Fusion learning part : http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-3E407E01-65AE-4DCC-A3A7-1439D9B5182F

Let me know if you need more info

Regards

Pavel Holecek
Autodesk QA team

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report