Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Draft or Offset Face

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
neljoshua
838 Views, 4 Replies

Cannot Draft or Offset Face

I am working on a fairly simple part of a much more complex model.  Once I have extruded the sketches to make the part I want, I was going to draft the corners down to fill in some of the gaps.  I have used this method before on a similar part without any problems.  Now, however, I can neither draft nor offset the face in question.

This has happened to two of the components in this design.  Does anyone know what is going on here?

__

If this post answered your question, please select "Mark as Solution" in order to help others who may have the same (or a similar) question.

Lenovo Thinkpad P1, 2.70 GHz Intel Xeon, 32.0 GB, Windows 10 Pro
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: neljoshua

Are the flat and the angled piece all one body? If so, can you just delete the face that you are trying to get rid of and let the body heal? I've had things like this happen when there is some discontinuity at the juncture between faces. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 3 of 5
neljoshua
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

@Oceanconcepts,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, it is all one body.  I tried deleting the face (both in the parametric and direct modeling environments), but Fusion is not happy about that, either.

Here is a link to the design.

__

If this post answered your question, please select "Mark as Solution" in order to help others who may have the same (or a similar) question.

Message 4 of 5
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: neljoshua

OK, I see the issue. If you select the juncture line where the flat and angled surface join, you see that it is not continuous, but has a short segment at either end. Fusion 360ScreenSnapz034.png

This was because of the way you created the sketch for the profile, because you had the two sides in place, and extruded out from the angled plane a discontinuity was created at each juncture between the sides and the rest of the sketch profile where there was a face transition. This created extra line segments at each end. 

Fusion 360ScreenSnapz035.png

If, instead, you create the sketch from the side, and constrain a parallel line to define the thickness, then extrude-join, you don't get the discontinuity.  And you don't have to project or draft to get the edge you are after. There would be many ways to do this- using a block primitive overbuilt and then join, for instance. But in my experience sketches projected from edges that involve transitions in faces are prone to this sort of problem. 

Fusion 360ScreenSnapz036.png

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 5 of 5
neljoshua
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

@Oceanconcepts,

Got it.  Thanks a lot!

I try to use projections when I can to save time and make my models as adaptive as possible, but I think I over-do it sometimes.

__

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report