Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to split this box open

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tomae
377 Views, 6 Replies

Best way to split this box open

I want to make a box that joins in the middle on three sides, with a ledge that runs around in order to seal the box up on those edges (will add a gasket later).  I have the shape (attached) and I drew a line with the shape of the ledge, drawn from the front open face of the box. I then used the Patch workspace and creaaet/extrude on that line to make a surface that I then used as a tool to the Split Body command.  However, I want the ledge to run along the backside (the curved side in this drawing) as well as the two sides.  I can't figure out how to make this surface that I created with the Patch/extrude to have the same ledge on that back edge?  How would I construct that?

And, is there a better/easier way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

-Tom

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
NicolasXu
in reply to: tomae

Hi Tom,

Thanks for reaching out. I might be misinterpreting your purpose. It seems the backside has already been cut through. We just need to hide/remove the redundant body.

Could you attach a screenshot to explain more about what you want to achieve if not the case?

Capture.PNG 

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 7
tomae
in reply to: NicolasXu

I want that stepped ledge that is on the two side pieces to also be in the back.  I can cut the box through, but I can't get the shape (the step or ledge) on the back side.

-Tom

Message 4 of 7
NicolasXu

Hi Tom,

Got it. I would use “Extrude Cut” to create the shape like this. Please refer to the screencast below for details (no audio).

Hope it helps. Please let me know if any questions. 

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 7
tomae

Thanks Nicolas.  With your method I would need to apply a mating drawing (and extrude cut) to each half of the split box in order that they join back together as a single box.   I was just hoping there was a simpler method for creating the ledge on the two box halves with one object.

-Tom

Message 6 of 7
NicolasXu

Hi Tom,

Another approach I can think of is, to create a ledge as a new body then leverage the “Combine” command. (See the screencast below) Since you want the stepped ledge in the back, I think a single “Split Body” cannot achieve the purpose.

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 7
tomae

Cool, thanks again Nicolas!

-Tom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report