Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benchrest rifle stock

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
1591 Views, 17 Replies

Benchrest rifle stock

I need assistance in laying out a rifle stock. First I attempting to lay the channel for the barrel and the receiver. I am new to 360 and the learning seems to be really steep for me.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

I am attempting to go scratch the blank is 3” x 6” x27” . I am trying to put a barrel channel on with the receiver behind it. I can cut a square channel but I want it to have a round bottom. I will take a photo and attach that will give you an idea of what I am describing. Robert Brooks

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

I have attached a file that I am starting from. I wantto put a channel for barrel and the receiver on the top side.

Message 5 of 18
thing.thing

Cool, I am trying to draw up a Enfield no4 lower!  so I can CNC it.  I also want to do my own palma?FTR stock....

I will follow with interest!

rule 1 unless anyone has a better idea? is only draw 1 half lengthwise and mirror it afterwards?  That way any curves on one side are duplicated / identical on the other. 

Message 6 of 18
thing.thing
in reply to: thing.thing

I cannot open it I get an error.

😞

from the thumbnail you have "made" a 3d block of wood?  and now want to sculpt it out?

You mentioned a picture? 

Unless someone has a better idea, I'd suggest importing the picture and sculpting the external shape first.

This might seem an overwelming idea at first and after 8months I'm still being overwhelmed myself but the output is worth the work.

I started with watching this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NypRE2aFhh4&list=PLPPjce8Ahsi1YlIwV-xknZKvafo2lBVMe

Message 7 of 18
daniel_lyall

@Anonymous The only thing in your file is a lump of wood, you would need to add a pick of the stock you wont to make.

What type of stock do you wont to make.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 8 of 18

The techniques used in that video, while certainly applicable are not sculpting, however. What Tayleor is doing is surfacing in the patch environment.

Peter Doering
Message 9 of 18

hmmm, I was thinking more of the approach to this as I am doing the same thing.  Its most likely that the external shape will be a complex series of curves so "drawing" the outside first might be easier in the long term. 

Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

Try making a component the same size (or slightly larger) as the receiver and barrel, then combining it with the stock with the type "cut."  In the example below, I made a cylinder .900" x 20" as the barrel, then a cylinder 1.35" x 2.5" to represent the receiver, made them a component, and combined it with the stock.

If you are glass bedding, make the receiver slightly larger to make the channel large enough for the bedding compound.

If you want a U shaped channel, sketch the shape you want, extrude it, and then combine as above.

Message 11 of 18
daniel_lyall

@Anonymous you forgot your example

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

Sorry, the screen cast didn't show up the first time.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

Message 14 of 18
daniel_lyall

posted to slow

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

Well I finally was able to work thru your example but have not been able to generate toolpaths. Thanks in advance. Robert

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

I have created a tool path for the barrel channel and have been able to bring it into mach3.  The problem is it so small in the Mach 3 window it is difficult, if not, impossible to see it move. What controls the size in this window? Robert

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

I am sorry, that is beyond my skills at this time.  So far I'm in the CAD phase, not the CAM.  I still have a manual mill and lathe.

Message 18 of 18
daniel_lyall

On the program run screen there is a button with Display mode on it hit that then hit regen path this changes it from table view to part view

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report