Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly level feature?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Jonathan.Landeros
407 Views, 4 Replies

Assembly level feature?

I'm hoping my question is just a case of "can't see the forest for the trees".  

I'm building a spar for a center section of a wood biplane, and it has two reinforcing plates that are attached, then the assembly has an angle cut in it.  

The two plates start out as the same blank, and then after assembly are cut to different shapes. 

The issue I run into is when I make the cut, the cut affects both instances of the part, just like you'd expect in a part level feature. 

My question?  Is there a way to create an assembly level feature in Fusion 360?  I tried activating the top level, but I had no luck there.  

I hope I'm missing something obvious!  Thanks in advance! 

====================================================

It is possible to fly without motors, but not without knowledge and skill.
Wilbur Wright

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I think you need to use copy then "Paste New" so you get an independent copy. Another option if you want to create a derived copy, you can copy just the body into an empty component. This way modifying the original before the copy feature will affect both but modifications after the copy will be independent.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5

I'll give that a try! I like the "paste into new component" method. That sounds like it'll do what I need.

I'll keep you posted!

Wilbur Wright

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Message 4 of 5

It will do exactly what you want:

ConfigLight II.png

Peter Doering
Message 5 of 5

Copying and pasting the body did the trick! 

Wilbur Wright

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report