Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembling 2 component doesn't seems to work as it should!

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Beyondforce
393 Views, 8 Replies

Assembling 2 component doesn't seems to work as it should!

Hey There,

As you can see in the short video (I have also attached the file), I was trying to connect the Accordion Arm to the 2 connectors sliding on a pin. But, the second arm gives me an error, which I can't figure out how to fix. 

<iframe width="640" height="650" src="https://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/Timeline/46b18ac6-eb08-49ea-9ce8-c9425087d80b" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope someone can help me to find a solution!

Cheers / Ben

Ben Korez
Owner, TESREG.com & Fusion 360 NewbiesPlus
TESREG - Fusion 360 Hardware Benchmark
Facebook | YouTube

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jeff_strater
in reply to: Beyondforce

I think the problem is that when you created the first joint at about 0:16 in the video:

joint problem.png

When you added the offset here, it moves all the geometry to the correct location.  But, then, later, when you add the second joint, you do not have this offset (at first):

joint problem 2.png

Which leads to the conflict.  What is certainly a bug is that the conflict remains, even after you cancel the command.

I have downloaded your example, and I'm working on it now to see if I can get it to work correctly.  More later!

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 9
Beyondforce
in reply to: jeff_strater

Hey Jeff,

My suspicion is, that Fusion cannot join 2 components that are not symmetrical (Level) to each other. In real life, the Rib will bend which not a problem. But in Fusion 360 it does not understand the properties of materials, and it will not allow it to connect if it's not straight!

Well, that's my theory 🙂 But if you have a solution for that, that will be amazing!

Thanks.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 4 of 9

I am not on my Fusion 360 station at the moment but if you convert the center revolute joint between the the two arms into a cylindrical joint it should work.

Also in general a washer between the two arms would make the design work much smoother in the real world 😉

Peter Doering
Message 5 of 9

Hey TrippyLighting,

That was the first thing that have tried, but it didn't work.

Maybe I'm asking too much from Fusion 360 😉

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 6 of 9
jeff_strater
in reply to: Beyondforce

Here is a version that works.  It took some fiddling around to get it, and @TrippyLighting is correct - in order to counteract the fact that the geometry is not 100% accurate (the bars bend in real life), you have to make one of the revolute joints a cylindrical joint.  I still don't have a video of making it (I started, but made mistakes, so will try again).  Here is a picture and video of the results, though

scissors assembly 1.png

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 9
Beyondforce

Hey Jeff,

This is AMAZING, you did it 😄

Thanks A LOT!

Cheers/ Ben

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 8 of 9
jeff_strater

Here is the video of the steps I took.  It's relatively straightforward, but since I recorded it, thought I'd share it.

There are still things to do here, mostly around joint limits to prevent the whole mechanism from inverting.  And, of course, if you really want it to work right, you'll have to make the crank work, etc...

Good luck with your design.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 9 of 9
Beyondforce

Excellent, even though it's not sitting in the middle, at least it's working. I have tried to offset it so it will be in the middle, but it didn't want it to respond to the changes.

Thanks a lot again.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report